Washington in Beaufort County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
John H. Small
Erected 2008 by North Carolina Office of Archives and History. (Marker Number B-65.)
Location. 35° 32.697′ N, 77° 3.668′ W. Marker is in Washington, North Carolina, in Beaufort County. Marker is at the intersection of West Main Street and South Bridge Street (U.S. 17), on the left when traveling east on West Main Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Washington NC 27889, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. C. C. Cambreleng (within shouting distance of this marker); Siege Of Washington (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lindsay C. Warren (about 500 feet away); Burning Of Washington (about 500 feet away); Havens Memorial Building (about 500 feet away); Attack On Washington (about 600 feet away); St. John the Evangelist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); USS Picket (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Washington.
Regarding John H. Small. Washington, North Carolina, native John Humphrey Small served eleven terms in the U.S. House of Representatives, leaving
Sketches of the life of Small record that he long “dreamed” of a national transportation system by water, not surprising for someone raised alongside the Pamlico River. Early in his Congressional tenure, he sought and received an appointment to the Committee on Rivers and Harbors, a panel he chaired in during the 65th Congress, 1917-1919. Authorized by Congress in 1919, the Intracoastal Waterway was completed from Norfolk to Wilmington by 1936. Political opponents derided the project as “Smallís Big Ditch.” The Congressman from an early age also took an interest in promoting education. Small declined to run for reelection in 1920 and returned to the practice of law, until 1931. He died in 1946 and is buried in the cityís Oakdale Cemetery. The house where he lived in Washington, prominently located at the junction of Bridge and Main streets, was demolished in 1954, the year after the death of Smallís
Also see . . . John Humphrey Small at FindAGrave.com. (Submitted on August 21, 2013, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 262 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on , by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. 2. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 3. submitted on , by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.