Holland in Ottawa County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Third Reformed Church
Under the leadership of the Rev. Albertus C. Van Raalte, founder of the Holland colony, the Third Reformed Church was organized on September 9, 1867. The first house of worship, measuring 90' long, 56' wide, and 32' high, was erected on this site. In the great Holland fire of October 8 and 9, 1871, the first structure was destroyed. On January 2, 1873, disaster struck again as the newly erected framework of a second building was demolished in a high wind. The present church, a structure of beauty and symmetry, was dedicated on November 25, 1874. The architectural style is known as carpenters' Gothic. The building is of balloon frame, battened perpendicularly on the outside, finished with buttresses towering in pinnacles above the roof. The steepled belltower was added in 1891. The parish hall and education facilities were built in 1952. During the centennial observance of 1967-68, the church building underwent extensive restoration so that it continues to stand as a significant historical landmark.
From the time of its organization, a progressive spirit has marked the life of the Third Reformed Church. The congregation immediately organized a Sunday School with Isaac Cappon, Holland industrialist and the city's first mayor, as superintendent. In 1872 the church gave
Erected 1970 by Michigan Historical Commission. (Marker Number HB49.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
Location. 42° 47.192′ N, 86° 6.736′ W. Marker is in Holland, Michigan, in Ottawa County. Marker is at the intersection of West 12th Street and Pine Avenue, on the left when traveling west on West 12th Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 111 West 13th Street, Holland MI 49423, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Dutch in Michigan (approx. 0.2 miles away); Holland Post Office Central Avenue Christian Reformed Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Cappon House / Isaac Cappon (approx. 0.3 miles away); Ninth Street Christian Reformed Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Holland City Hall and Firehouse No. 2 (approx. 0.6 miles away); The First Pioneers of Graafschap (approx. 2.6 miles away); Graafschap Christian Reformed Church (approx. 2.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Holland.
Also see . . .
1. Carpenter's Gothic. (Submitted on August 12, 2013, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.)
2. Hope College. (Submitted on August 12, 2013, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.)
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 253 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.