Bath in Beaufort County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Bath’s early history was disturbed by political rivalries, fever epidemics, Indian wars, and piracy. Cary’s Rebellion (1711) was a struggle between former Governor Thomas Cary and Governor Edward Hyde (1711-12) over the role of the Quaker Party in the politics of the colony. It was settled when troops from Virginia arrived in the Bath area in July, 1711. Hyde remained in power, Cary being sent to England for trial.
In the summer of 1711 occurred a severe epidemic of yellow fever from which many inhabitants died. Immediately began the Tuscarora War, 1711-15, fought between the settlers and the powerful
Bath was also a haunt of the pirate Edward Teach, better known as “Blackbeard.” Teach, a friend of Governor Charles Eden and Tobias Knight, his secretary, was privately encouraged by them in his piratical activities. He was killed by Lieutenant Robert Maynard of the British Navy in the fall of 1718.
After this period of turbulence ended, Bath became a center of more peaceful, settled life. St. Thomas Church (Episcopal), the oldest standing church building in North Carolina, dates from 1734. Reverend George Whitefield, pioneer evangelist, visited Bath on several occasions between 1739 and 1765. The Palmer-Marsh House, Bath’s oldest and in the colonial period its largest residence, was erected about 1744. The General Assembly met in Bath in 1744 and 1752. In 1746 the town was considered for capital of the colony. Governors Thomas Cary and Charles Eden (1714-22) made Bath their home for a time, as did Edward Moseley, long-time Speaker of the General Assembly.
In the late Colonial period Bath lost much of its importance to the new town of Washington, located 12 miles up the Pamlico River. With the removal of the Beaufort County seat of government to Washington in 1785, Bath lost much of its trade and importance. It has since remained the small country town it is today. Three early buildings are now available for public inspection: St. Thomas Church, built in 1734; the Palmer-Marsh House, dating from about 1744; and the Bonner House, a 19th Century residence built on the site of John Lawson’s 18th Century home. Other sites and buildings are marked.
Erected 1962. (Marker Number BB-1.)
Location. 35° 28.624′ N, 76° 48.732′ W. Marker is in Bath, North Carolina, in Beaufort County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Carteret Street (North Carolina Route 92) and Harding Street. Click for map. Located at the State Historic Center in Bath. Marker is in this post office area: Bath NC 27808, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Historic Bath (here, next to this marker); Palmer - Marsh House (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Public Library (about 500 feet away); James Adams Floating Theatre (about 600 feet away); Matthew Rowan (about 600 feet away); a different marker also named Colonial Bath (about 600 feet away); First Post Road (about 700 feet away); St. Thomas Church (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Bath.
Categories. • Education • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 309 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.