“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Old Town in Dixie County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)

Fletcher Community

Fletcher Community Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, August 2, 2013
1. Fletcher Community Marker
Inscription. The Fletcher Community was established when Dixie County was part of Lafayette County and both were part of their parent county, Madison. In the early 1850s Fletcher families and other families emigrated south from the Carolinas through Georgia, bringing their livestock and looking for better pastures. Other families followed including the Edmond, Bell Boatright, Gronto, Hatch, Matthis, Jones, Sauls and Ward families. They used the Suwannee River to move cotton and farm produce by steamboats to the railroad at Cedar Key. Most settlers of the Methodist faith attended services at Pleasant Grove Church, established by Rev. John A. Fletcher (1811-1858). This church is now gone but the Pleasant Grove and Ward Cemeteries are reminders of the Fletcher Community's settlers. William Rete Fletcher served as Madison County's Justice of the Peace 1847-1849 and Clerk of Circuit Court of Lafayette County 1856-1858. U.S. Postal records show Matilda J. Jones Fletcher as the community's first Postmaster. Eborn Haywood Sauls, William R. Fletcher, and Mittie (Matilda) Fletcher were later Postmasters.
Erected 2005 by The Dixie County Historical Society, The Dixie County Board of County Commissioners and the Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-535.)
Location. 29° 44.216′ N, 82° 59.088′ W. Marker is near Old Town, Florida, in Dixie County. Marker is on Florida Route 349 0.6 miles north of Pine Crest Drive, on the left when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is located in front of the First District Community Center. Marker is at or near this postal address: 9223 NE Highway 349, Old Town FL 32680, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Oldtown (approx. 9.3 miles away); The History of Fort Fanning (approx. 10.5 miles away); Fanning Springs Bridge (approx. 10.6 miles away); Triumph the Church and Kingdom of God in Christ (approx. 11 miles away); Putnam Lodge (approx. 11.6 miles away).
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 309 times since then and 80 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on , by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide shot of marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement