Near Greenville in Madison County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Concord Missionary Baptist Church
Site of the Founding of the Florida Baptist Convention
For the glory of God, the church was constituted June 20, 1841. The charter members were: Richard J. and Eliza Mays; Joshua W.P. and Mary McCall; William T., Elizabeth and Harriet Johnson; black servants, Elbert, Phillis, Marmadore, April, Marshall and Nancy. Elders Alex Mosely and John Broome assisted in the Constitution. The church and cemeteries are on 20 acres of land given by Richard J. Mays. West Florida and Alachua Associational Delegates meeting with Florida Association here November 20, 1854, formed the Florida Baptist Convention.
Concord Church helped organize The Florida Baptist Association at Indian Springs, March 2, 1843. It has had a prominent role in the Mercer Baptist Association. Very early it gave support to The Union Meetings and Christian Education. The Negro members lettered out and formed New Canaan Church under leadership of Horace Joseph shortly after the conclusion of the Civil War. Strong in leadership, firm in discipline, a Monument to God's Grace, Concord Church has been active for 132 consecutive years.
Erected 1973 by Concord Missionary Baptist Church in cooperation with the Madison County Historical Society.
Location. 30° 36.617′ N, 83° Click for map. Northwest 140th Street is also known as Concord Church Road. Marker is in this post office area: Greenville FL 32331, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Shiloh Methodist Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); Columbia Primitive Baptist Church (approx. 5 miles away in Georgia); Bethlehem Primitive Baptist Church (approx. 10.1 miles away in Georgia but has been reported missing); Ray Charles Childhood Home (approx. 11.8 miles away); Pioneer Hickstown Baptist Church (approx. 12.1 miles away); Wardlaw-Smith-Goza Conference Center (approx. 12.1 miles away); First Baptist Church 1898 Sanctuary (approx. 12.1 miles away); The Wardlaw-Smith House (approx. 12.1 miles away).
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 393 times since then and 69 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.