Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Land O'lakes in Pasco County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Ehren African American Community / Mount Carmel Church And Cemetery

 
 
Ehren African American Community Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, April 21, 2013
1. Ehren African American Community Marker
Inscription. (side 1)
Ehren African American Community

The Ehren Pine Company sawmill employed a large number of local African Americans, many of whom lived in company housing. Others worked in agriculture and for the railroad.

Serving the spiritual needs of that population were Mount Carmel A.M.E. Church and also Oak Grove Baptist Church, which was located nearby on Ehren Cemetery Road. Reverend Joe Bowen served as one of the pastors of the Oak Grove congregation before it disbanded in the 1940s.

The Oak Grove Church also served as a school and B.H. McMorris was a teacher and George Members was supervisor in 1901. Part of the church property was deeded to the Pasco County Board of Public Instruction in 1927 for the purpose of building a school. Frank Phillips and L.G. Bowen were appointed school trustees.

After the sawmill burned in 1920, many residents moved away. Some residents remained and worked in Drexel and Odessa and other nearby communities.
(See reverse side)
(side 2)
Mount Carmel Church And Cemetery

Serving the local African American community, this was the site of Mount Carmel African Methodist Episcopal Church, a wooden structure. An early pastor was Reverend Byrel Dawkins. The congregation folded sometime after the Great
Mount Carmel Church And Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, April 21, 2013
2. Mount Carmel Church And Cemetery Marker
Depression and members joined other local churches.

There are many unmarked graves here and the date of the first burial is unknown. Although it is believed that the cemetery dates back to the mid-1800s, the first marked grave is 1903 and the latest is 1954.

In 2006, the Pasco County Black Caucus, in cooperation with the Pasco County Board of County Commissioners and other concerned individuals, initiated efforts to provide recognition and perpetual care of this site.
(See reverse side)

 
Erected 2008 by The Pasco Board of County Commissioners, The Pasco Historical Preservation Committee and Connerton Community Council, Inc.
 
Location. 28° 16.313′ N, 82° 26.537′ W. Marker is near Land O'lakes, Florida, in Pasco County. Marker is on Ehren Cutoff Road (County Road 583) half a mile west of Ehrenl Cemetery Road, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Land O Lakes FL 34639, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Ehren Community (approx. 0.9 miles away); Dupree Gardens (approx. 1.8 miles away); Concord Stagecoach Road (approx. 5.1 miles away); Fivay Junction - Greenfield - Tucker Cemetery and Community (approx. 6.2 miles away); Holton Cemetery (approx. 7.4 miles away); Double Branch Baptist Church and Cemetery (approx. 7.5 miles away); Wesley Chapel (approx. 7.5 miles away); The Bradley Massacre (approx. 8 miles away).
 
Categories. African AmericansCemeteries & Burial SitesChurches, Etc.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 489 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide shot of marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement