Franklin in Warren County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Thirkield Store
Occupied this corner from 1850 until 1979.
The Thirkield family owned and operated the store which prided itself on quality merchandise and good customer relations. Under the leadership of Eden B. Thirkield, the store prospered and grew.
Thirkield’s was one of the oldest department stores in the Midwest and was the oldest J-story building west of the Alleghenies.
Erected by Members of the Thirkield Family.
Location. 39° 33.583′ N, 84° 18.233′ W. Marker is in Franklin, Ohio, in Warren County. Marker is on East 4th Street west of South Main Street, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Franklin OH 45005, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Old Log Post Office (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Preservation of Log Post Office (about 800 feet away); Robert Cumming Schenck (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lewis Davis Campbell (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Mackinaw Historic District (approx. 0.3 miles Robert E. Lee (approx. 1.2 miles away); Franklin In The Civil War (approx. 1.2 miles away); Franklin Veterans Memorial (approx. 1.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Franklin.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 211 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.