Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Franklin in Warren County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

The Mackinaw Historic District

 
 
The Mackinaw Historic District Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, July 20, 2013
1. The Mackinaw Historic District Marker
Inscription. Most of the homes in this district were constructed after the creation of the Mackinaw Development Corporation in 1887. The corporation was named for the Cincinnati, Jackson, and Mackinaw Railroad which arrived in Franklin from Darke County in 1886. The corporation subdivided the farm of Lewis Gaston Anderson, whose Italian Villa-style home still stands at the northwest corner of Miami and Lake Avenues. Anderson was a grain and lumber dealer in Franklin, who in 1881 was elected to the 65th Ohio General Assembly as a state senator.

Back Side:

(Continued from other side)


This collection of residences was listed on the National Register of Historic Places by the U.S. Department of the Interior in 1980. The district contains 30 houses which directly contribute to its historical quality, in addition to other homes of compatible character. The dominant architectural style in the district is Queen Anne, although other styles are present. Among these are Italianate and Second Empire, styles which predominate in the larger houses that stood along the river prior to the division of the Anderson farm. Other architectural styles represented include Colonial, Georgian, and Spanish Revival; Eastlake, Cape Cod, and Bungalow. The district was home to many of Franklinís mercantile and industrial leaders in the
The Mackinaw Historic District Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, July 20, 2013
2. The Mackinaw Historic District Marker
late 19th and early 20th centuries.
 
Erected 2013 by Franklin Area Historical Society and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 13-83.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
 
Location. 39° 33.837′ N, 84° 18.444′ W. Marker is in Franklin, Ohio, in Warren County. Marker is at the intersection of Elm Street and Park Avenue, on the left when traveling north on Elm Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Franklin OH 45005, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Robert Cumming Schenck (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lewis Davis Campbell (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Old Log Post Office (approx. 0.3 miles away); Preservation of Log Post Office (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Thirkield Store (approx. 0.3 miles away); Franklin In The Civil War (approx. 1.3 miles away); Robert E. Lee (approx. 1.4 miles away); Franklin Veterans Memorial (approx. 1.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Franklin.
 
Also see . . .  Franklin Area Historical Society. (Submitted on August 15, 2013.)
 
Categories. Landmarks
 
The Mackinaw Historic District Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, July 20, 2013
3. The Mackinaw Historic District Marker
The Mackinaw Historic District Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, July 20, 2013
4. The Mackinaw Historic District Marker
Miami Avenue
The Mackinaw Historic District Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, July 20, 2013
5. The Mackinaw Historic District Marker
The Mackinaw Historic District Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, July 20, 2013
6. The Mackinaw Historic District Marker
Miami Avenue
The Mackinaw Historic District Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, July 20, 2013
7. The Mackinaw Historic District Marker
The Mackinaw Historic District Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, July 20, 2013
8. The Mackinaw Historic District Marker
Miami Avenue
The Mackinaw Historic District Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, July 20, 2013
9. The Mackinaw Historic District Marker
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 234 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement