Lakeland in Polk County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Women's Club of Lakeland
59 Lake Morton Drive
The Colonial Revival style was first introduced at the Philadelphia Exposition in 1876 and was brought to Florida in the late 1880’s. It signified a rebirth of interest in the early English and Dutch houses of the Atlantic Seaboard and drew upon Georgian and Adam architecture for references. Typical Colonial Revival characteristics that can be seen here include an accentuated front door with a decorative pediment and sidelights, a hipped roof, and double hung sash windows in adjacent pairs. The Woman’s Club building is a contributing structure to the East Lake Morton Residential District, which was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1993.
Erected 1999 by The City of Lakeland Historic Preservation Board and the Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-414.)
Location. 28° 2.389′ Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 59 Lake Morton Drive, Lakeland FL 33801, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Sorosis Club Building (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Second Mass. Infantry Camp (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Oates Building (approx. 0.4 miles away); Munn Park (approx. 0.4 miles away); Polk County Confederate Monument (approx. 0.4 miles away); Polk Theatre and Office Building (approx. 0.4 miles away); Munn Park Historic District (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Frank Lloyd Wright Campus of Florida Southern College (approx. 0.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Lakeland.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 298 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.