Inscription. The Old Stage Road, one of Alachua County’s original highways, passed near here. Dating from the 1820s, it connected the county’s two major towns, Newnansville (once the county seat near present day Alachua) and Micanopy to the south. The road served as a major commerce, transportation and military artery. Forts built for protection from Seminole Indians near Micanopy and Newnansville were linked by the road. During the Second Seminole War of 1835 to 1842, Fort Clarke, a U.S. Army post, was built along the road northwest of here. By the early 1860s, local farmers relied on the road to transport crops to the railroad depot in Arredondo. From 1866 to 1876, a stage line used the road, carrying mail and passengers to Ocala and Newnansville, and to Tampa by 1869. Use of the road diminished after steamer service across Alachua Lake (now Payne’s Prairie) began in 1876. Railroad service was expanded to Micanopy in the early 1880s. Newnansville had been deserted by 1900. In the 20th century, sections of the road were abandoned in favor of newer and better roads. Original sections of the Old Stage Road still exist.
By Tim Fillmon, February 3, 2013
|1. Old Stage Road Marker|
Erected 2009 by Infinite Properties, LLC., The Alachua County Historical Commission and the Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-679.)
Location. 29° 37.908′ N, 82° 24.979′ W. Marker is in Gainesville, Florida, in Alachua County. Marker is at the intersection of Southwest 24th Avenue and SW 69th Terrace, on the left when traveling west on Southwest 24th Avenue. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 7001 Southwest 24th Avenue, Gainesville FL 32607, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fort Clarke (approx. 2.4 miles away); Historic Haile Homested At Kanapaha Plantation (approx. 2.9 miles away); Serenola Plantation (approx. 4.6 miles away); University of Florida Historic Campus (approx. 4.7 miles away); Gainesville's Railroads / Past Railroads of Gainesville (approx. 5.4 miles away); The Bailey House (approx. 5.6 miles away); Josiah T. Walls (approx. 5.6 miles away); Alachula County Courthouse (approx. 5.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Gainesville.
Credits. This page originally submitted on August 15, 2013, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 216 times since then. Photo 1. submitted on August 15, 2013, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide shot of marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?
|Recommend or Share This Page. |