Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lucerne in Lucerne (District), Switzerland
 

Ritter Palace

Ritterscher Palast

 
 
Ritterscher Palast Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, June 29, 2013
1. Ritterscher Palast Marker
Caption: Ausschnitt aus dem stadtprospekt von Schumacher 1792 (from a bird's-eye view drawing by Schumacher 1792).
Inscription.
Als Wohnsitz für Schultheiss Lux Ritter von Domenico Solbiolo aus Ponte Caprisca entworfen und unter der Leitung von Pietro del Grilio aus Lugano 1556 – 1564 erbaut. Nach dem Tode Ritters sorgte der Rat für die Vollendung des Renaissancebaus und übergab ihn 1577 den Jesuiten als Wohnung, die 1695 den westlichen und 1756 – 1757 den östlichen Kollegiumstrakt bis zur Kirche anfügten.
Nach Aufhebung der Jesuitenniederlassung 1773 Professorenkonvikt, seit 1804 Regierungsgebäude. 1841 – 1843 wurde der halbrunde Grossratssaal in klassizistischem Stil durch Melchior Berri angebaut.
Der bemerkenswerte Arkadeninnenhof birgt im dritten Geschoss dem um 1615 von Jakob von Wyl gemalten Totentanzzyklus.
Unter Denkmalschutz seit 1963, restauriert 1984 – 1986.

German-English translation:

Ritter Palace


Built 1556-1564 as a residence for mayor Lux Ritter by Domenico Solbiolo from Ponte Caprisca, and designed by Pietro del Grilio from Lugano. After the death of Ritter, the Council was responsible for the completion of the Renaissance building and handed it over to the Jesuits in 1577 as a residence, who added a western wing in 1695, and in 1756-57 added the eastern wing leading to the church.

After the dissolution of the Jesuit order in 1773,
Ritterscher Palast Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, June 29, 2013
2. Ritterscher Palast Marker
The marker is next to the drainpipe on the left.
the building became a collegiate seminary, and has been a government building since 1804. In 1841-1843 a semicircular grand council chamber was built in the neoclassical style by Melchior Berri.

The arcaded courtyard holds, on the third floor, the striking Dance of Death painted around 1615 by Jakob von Wyl.

Historical monument since 1963, restored 1984-1986.
 
Erected by Stadt der Luzern (City of Lucerne).
 
Location. 47° 3.034′ N, 8° 18.267′ E. Marker is in Lucerne, Lucerne, in Lucerne (District). Marker is on Bahnhofstrasse, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Bahnhofstrasse 17, Lucerne 6003, Switzerland.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Jesuitenkirche (within shouting distance of this marker); The Pfyffer Student House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Singer House (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); The Von Sonnenberg House (about 90 meters away); The Sonnenberg House in Zoepfli (about 90 meters away); Fishermens Point (about 120 meters away); The Burgher Gate (about 120 meters away); Stammhaus Corragioni D’Orelli (about 120 meters away). Click for a list of all markers in Lucerne.
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
Ritterscher Palast image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, June 29, 2013
3. Ritterscher Palast
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 393 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement