“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Holland in Ottawa County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)

Central Avenue Christian Reformed Church

Central Avenue Christian Reformed Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel S., August 9, 2013
1. Central Avenue Christian Reformed Church Marker
Inscription. In 1865, The Holland Church, the city's first Christian Reformed congregation, was founded. In 1866 the group bought this lot on what was then Market Street and moved a school here to use as a church. The following year the congregation built a new church and adopted the name True Dutch Reformed Church. It became popularly known as Market Street Church. By 1899 the street and the church were renamed Central Avenue. The present church was built in 1952.
Erected 1990 by Bureau of History, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L1780.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
Location. 42° 47.272′ N, 86° 6.418′ W. Marker is in Holland, Michigan, in Ottawa County. Marker is at the intersection of Central Avenue and Graves Place, on the left when traveling south on Central Avenue. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 259 Central Avenue, Holland MI 49423, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Dutch in Michigan (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Holland Post Office (about 500 feet away); Ninth Street Christian Reformed Church (about 700 feet away); Third Reformed Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Holland City Hall and Firehouse No. 2 (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Cappon House / Isaac Cappon (approx. half a mile away); Old Wing Mission (approx. 2.7 miles away); The First Pioneers of Graafschap (approx. 2.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Holland.
Categories. Churches, Etc.
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 199 times since then and 45 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on , by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Would appreciate a wide view photo of the marker -and- a full view photo of the Church. AND (if allowed) some photos inside the Church. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement