“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Edinburg in Saratoga County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)


Batchellerville Marker image. Click for full size.
By Howard C. Ohlhous, July 5, 2013
1. Batchellerville Marker
On this site was located
the historic village of
Batchellerville inundated
in 1930 by the Sacandaga

Erected 2000 by The Town of Edinburg.
Location. 43° 12.635′ N, 74° 4.937′ W. Marker is in Edinburg, New York, in Saratoga County. Marker is on South Shore Road, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hadley NY 12835, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old Country Store (a few steps from this marker); S. Batcheller Home (within shouting distance of this marker); Great Sacandaga Lake (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Batchellerville Presbyterian Church (about 500 feet away); Building the Batchellerville Bridge (about 600 feet away); Covered Bridge (approx. 1.2 miles away); Carriage Shop (approx. 1.2 miles away); Beecher's Store (approx. 1.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Edinburg.
Regarding Batchellerville. The first permanent settlement in the Sacandaga River Valley occurred after the Revolutionary War. Soon after Saratoga County was established in 1791, entrepreneurs lured by
Batchellerville Marker along South Shore Road image. Click for full size.
By Howard C. Ohlhous, July 5, 2013
2. Batchellerville Marker along South Shore Road
the region's vast timber resources and water power settled on the banks of the Sacandaga River. The hamlet of Batchellerville grew up around a sawmill and woodenware factory operated by the Batcheller family after 1833. By the 1870s, Batchellerville had grown to a prosperous seat of water-powered industry with a population of 500. The community of more than 70 dwellings supported three factories, a hotel, a school and the Presbyterian Church.

The spring of 1902 and 1913 proved to be the most disastrous in history to down river communities including Albany, Green Island, Rensselaer, Troy and Watervliet. Petitioned by these communities affected by sever annual flooding along the Hudson river, the State of New York created the Hudson River Regulating District in 1922. The regulatory board adopted an ambitious plan to control the flow of the Hudson's tributaries. The keystone of this plan was a vast, man-made storage reservoir, the Great Sacandaga Lake, created by impoundment of the Sacandaga River at Conklingville. Owners were allowed to remove houses and barns if they wished. The Presbyterian Church in Batchellerville and the Cold Brook School on North Shore Road were two that were moved. Buildings not moved by 1929 were completely demolished or burned.

On March 27, 1930 the gates were closed on the Conklingville Dam and the filling of the newly created Sacandaga
Batchellerville circ 1929 image. Click for full size.
By Howard C. Ohlhous, July 3, 2013
3. Batchellerville circ 1929
This photo, from a nearby panel of local history photos, shows buildings in the hamlet of Batchellerville with the piers and steel trusses of the Batchellerville Bridge under construction, looming in the background. These buildings would all be gone before the waters started to rise in the reservoir on March 27, 1930.
Reservoir began.
Additional keywords. Batchellerville Bridge
Categories. DisastersMan-Made FeaturesSettlements & Settlers
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. This page has been viewed 375 times since then and 131 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement