Charleston in Charleston County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Site of Old Charles Town
The Charles Town Chapter
Children of the American Revolution
November 25th 1909
This block of regal blue marble
from the quarries at Regal North Carolina
marks the site of Old Charles Town,
South Carolina. Settled by the English
in the reign of King Charles II.
Mrs. W. Moultrie Gourdin, Pres’t C.A.R.
Miss Martha Washington
Miss Mabel L. Webber
Miss Alice W. Rutledge
Mrs. Edmund Rhett
Henry A. M. Smith Esq.
Edward T. Legare Esq.
Capt. Thomas Pickney
Ex. Gov. D. Clinch Heyward
Allard Memminger M.D. Chairman
Erected 1909 by Children of the American Revolution - Charles Town Chapter.
Location. 32° 48.291′ N, 79° 59.19′ W. Marker is in Charleston, South Carolina, in Charleston County. Marker is on Old Town Plantation Road, on the left when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is located at Charles Towne Landing, just north of the the Legare Waring House. Marker is in this post office area: Charleston SC 29407, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hints of Slave Row (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Foundations of the Southern Plantation (about 500 feet away); 300th Anniversary of the Settlement of Charles Towne (about 600 feet away); Tales of the Tub (about 600 feet away); In Trust (about 600 feet away); a different marker also named Foundations of the Southern Plantation (about 600 feet away); The Search Goes On (about 600 feet away); A Unique Find Brings Unanswered Questions (about 700 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Charleston.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 237 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.