“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Harrisburg in Dauphin County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)

Historic Midtown Market District

Historic Midtown Market District Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Pfingsten, March 30, 2008
1. Historic Midtown Market District Marker
Inscription. Just prior to the Civil War, Harrisburg's northern development reached only as far as North Street, although its northern boundary extended to Herr Street under an annexation to the original Borough in 1838. In 1860, Harrisburg was incorporated as a City with its newly annexed territory extending all the way to Maclay Street. That same year, as neighborhoods were expanding up to Verbeke Street, the original stone building of the Broad Street Market opened. The Market became the catalyst to the growth and development of N. Third Street and to its subsequent urbanization as a secondary business district to that of the downtown. By the early 20th Century, the District sported movie theaters, department stores, a host of restaurants and general retail shops. It was a central destination for celebrations and events. The District was particularly enhanced by the construction at 1224 N. Third Street of the six-story Commercial Bank Building in 1908, later to become the Furlow Building. First a bank on the ground floor, and later a "Five and Ten," the structure was an early mid-rise, with fashionable upper story apartments, one of the first luxury apartment buildings to be erected in the City. Although the District suffered from neglect and resulting removal of substandard buildings in the 1970's, the area has now emerged in budding renewal bordered
Furlow Building image. Click for full size.
By William Pfingsten, March 30, 2008
2. Furlow Building
by contemporary, upscale town homes and the Old Midtown and Fox Ridge Historic Districts.
Left Photo
N. Third Street in 1915 looking north with the Commercial Bank Building at left.
Top Right Photo
1915 postcard view looking south on N. Third Street with Broad Street Market at left.
Bottom Right Photo
Celebratory arches adorn the intersection of N. Third and Verbeke Streets during "Old Home Week" in 1905.

Erected by The Harrisburg History Project Commissioned by Mayor Stephen R. Reed.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Pennsylvania, The Harrisburg History Project marker series.
Location. 40° 16.18′ N, 76° 53.333′ W. Marker is in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, in Dauphin County. Marker is at the intersection of N. Third Street and Verbeke Street, on the right when traveling north on N. Third Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Harrisburg PA 17102, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Broad Street Market (within shouting distance of this marker); Engleton (approx. 0.2 miles away); J. Horace McFarland (approx. mile away); Firefighters' Memorial Monument (approx. mile away); “Never Again” (approx. mile away); Lest We Forget (approx. mile away); Sunken Gardens (approx. mile away); Paxtang Manor (approx. mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Harrisburg.
Categories. Industry & CommerceNotable Buildings
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,249 times since then and 52 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement