Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Rawlins in Carbon County, Wyoming — The American West (Mountains)
 

Rawlins Springs

 
 
Rawlins Springs Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, July 6, 2013
1. Rawlins Springs Marker
Inscription. In the summer of 1867, a survey party led by General Grenville M. Dodge seeking a route for the Union Pacific Railroad stopped here.

General John A. Rawlins, a member of the party, spoke of the spring as "the most gracious and acceptable of anything he had had on the march" and said that if anything was ever named after him he wanted it to be a spring of water.

General Dodge replied "We will name this Rawlins Springs."
 
Erected 1957 by Carbon County Chapter of the Wyoming State Historical Society.
 
Location. 41° 46.948′ N, 107° 14.708′ W. Marker is in Rawlins, Wyoming, in Carbon County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of W. Davis Street and Bennett Street, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker can be reached from the parking lot of the city park for Rawlins Springs; the parking lot is immediately west of the intersection of W. Davis and Bennett streets. Marker is in this post office area: Rawlins WY 82301, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Rawlins (approx. half a mile away); William Daley Flagpole (approx. 0.6 miles away); Wyoming State Penitentiary
Marker overlooking Rawlins Springs image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, July 6, 2013
2. Marker overlooking Rawlins Springs
(approx. 0.7 miles away); Rawlins Paint Mines (approx. 2.9 miles away); Civil War Cannons (approx. 6.7 miles away); The Parco Inn (approx. 6.7 miles away).
 
More about this marker. The marker tablet was designed and placed in 1957 by the Carbon County Chapter of the Wyoming State Historical Society with the following officers listed: Neal E. Miller, President; Alex Gordon, 1st Vice Pres.; L.D. Rettstatt, 2nd Vice Pres.; Lovina Pierson, Secy.; Kleber H. Handsell, Treas.; A.H. MacDougall, Repr.

The marker also includes the following inscription: "In grateful recognition of the material aid and technical assistance of the Union Pacific Railroad Company, the Sinclair Refining Company, and the University of Wyoming."
 
Also see . . .  1920 Photo of Rawlins Springs. From digital collection of the University of Wyoming. (Submitted on August 22, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.) 
 
Categories. Railroads & StreetcarsSettlements & Settlers
 
Rawlins Springs image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, July 6, 2013
3. Rawlins Springs
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 397 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement