Georgetown in Georgetown County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Rice Museum
The Kaminski Building next door houses the Maritime History Museum, home of the "Browns Ferry Vessel." Listed on the National Register, this is the oldest vessel of colonial manufacture in the United States. This 50-foot vessel was built around 1700 and sank in the Black River in the Browns Ferry area of Georgetown County in 1730.
Other exhibits in the museum include the history of the Kaminski Hardware Company, Gullah history of the S.C. Low Country; the life of Miss Ruby Forsythe, one of South Carolina's great educators; and the story of Joseph Hayne Rainey, the first African American elected to the U.S. Congress.
The Provost Gallery houses rotating exhibits of art and history, and the gift shop features local arts and crafts, as well as items from museum collections throughout the world.
Erected by National Park Service, South Carolina Heritage Corridor.
Marker series. This marker is included in the South Carolina Heritage Corridor marker
Location. 33° 21.933′ N, 79° 16.946′ W. Marker is in Georgetown, South Carolina, in Georgetown County. Marker can be reached from Front Street, on the left when traveling north. Click for map. Located on Harborwalk, next to the Clock Tower. Marker is in this post office area: Georgetown SC 29442, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Marquis de Lafayette (a few steps from this marker); Town Clock / Kaminski Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Sinking Of The USS Harvest Moon (within shouting distance of this marker); South Carolina’s Third Oldest City (within shouting distance of this marker); 718 Front Street (within shouting distance of this marker); 724 Front Street (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); 726 Front Street (about 300 feet away); 732 - 734 Front Street (about 400 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Georgetown.
Also see . . . The Rice Museum. known locally as The Town Clock, is located in the Old Market Building and is a prominent symbol of Georgetown County. (Submitted on August 23, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Agriculture • Colonial Era • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 311 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.