Franklin in Macon County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Franklin's Educational Legacy
Franklin School, originally constructed on this lot, was in operation as early as the 1890s teaching grades 1-11. By the mid 1930s, it was downsized to grades 1-6. There were northern and southern classrooms adjoined by a common auditorium. The school's original water source was a spring near the building, later a dug well in the front yard with a hand pump provided water. Heat was provided by a wood-burning pot belly stove. Each student brought a stick of wood every morning for use in the stove. The school closed in 1942. Its 75-80 students transferred to Tuskegee schools. After the close of the school the northern classroom was moved to its current location, converted to a community center with the rest torn down. During its use as a community center, Hank Williams Sr. often performed for dances. Upon Franklin's 1977 incorporation, the town began using the building as the Town Hall. A mile north of Town Hall lay the remnants of what is rumored the be the first school in Macon County.
Erected 2010 by Alabama Tourism Department and the Town of Franklin.
Location. 32° 27.991′ N, 85° 48.339′ W. Marker is in Franklin, Alabama, in Macon County. Marker is on Tuskegee-Franklin Road (Alabama Route 49) 0.4 miles south of County Road 17, on the left when traveling south. Click for map. Located next to Franklin Volunteer Fire Department. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1660 Highway 49 South, Tuskegee AL 36083, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Tukabatchee / Tokvpvcce (approx. 5 miles away); The Tuskegee Airmen's Plaza (approx. 6.1 miles away); Booker T Washington (approx. 6.2 miles away); Lifting the Veil of Ignorance (approx. 6.3 miles away); Tuskegee Chapel (approx. 6.3 miles away); George Washington Carver (approx. 6.3 miles away); Dorothy Hall (approx. 6.3 miles away); Tuskegee Cemetery (approx. 6.3 miles away).
Categories. • African Americans • Churches, Etc. • Education • Native Americans •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,200 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. 4. submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.