Near Alexander City in Elmore County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
The Hank Williams Kowaliga Cabin
Hank’s September 23, 1952 recording of “Kaw-liga” reached number one on the country music charts in 1953 and has since been recorded by numerous country and popular music artists.
Built in 1946 by Darwin and Nell Dobbs, the cabin was restored to its original condition in 2001 by Russell Lands, Inc. as a tribute to Hank Williams and his music.
Erected 2002 by Alabama Historical Association.
Location. 32° 44.219′ N, 85° 58.095′ W. Marker is near Alexander City, Alabama, in Elmore County. Marker is on Alabama Route 63 0.2 miles north of Kowaliga Marina Road, on the left when traveling south. Click for map. Located in front of Children's Harbor near the southern foot of the Kowaliga Road Bridge over Lake Martin. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1 Our Children's Highway, Eclectic AL 36024, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Menawa, War Chief (approx. 8.3 miles Peace & Goodwill Cemetery (approx. 11.7 miles away); Fort Okfuskee (approx. 12.1 miles away); Site of Thaddeus Post Office (approx. 13.2 miles away); Horseshoe Bend Battle Ground (approx. 13.3 miles away); First Baptist Church (approx. 13.5 miles away); Brigadier General Birkett Davenport Fry, CSA / Tallassee Confederate Officers Quarters (approx. 14.5 miles away); Tallassee Armory (approx. 14.7 miles away).
Categories. • Arts, Letters, Music • Entertainment •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 468 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.