Croom in Prince George's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Town of Nottingham
In 1706, the Maryland General Assembly passed "An Act for the Advancement of Trade". The act named five new towns in Prince George's County: Mill Town, Queen Anne Town, Aire, Upper Marlborough and Nottingham. During the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries ocean-going sailing ships docked at the wharves that lined the shores of Nottingham. Merchants opened stores that sole West Indies rum, muscovado sugar, and European and East Indian goods. Multitudes of slaves were imported from Africa and sold at Nottingham to provide labor for the local tobacco plantations.
Ships bound for Europe collected vast quantities of tobacco at Nottingham. In 1747, the legislature passed the Tobacco Inspection Act, which mandated the
By the turn of the 18th Century, large cargo vessels began to bypass towns such as Nottingham. Sail powered boats gave way to bay steamers. Nottingham survived much of the nineteenth century with the help of the Weems steamboat line that supplied the town with staple goods and carried farm produce to Baltimore. Some businesses such as the Woodfield Canning Factory were established during the twentieth century but Nottingham declined considerably by the 1930s. By the late 1900s, the population had declined to 50 or 60 residents and Nottingham faded from the map. Today, very little remains of the once important Patuxent River town.
Location. 38° 42.654′ N, 76° 42.221′ W. Marker is in Croom, Maryland, in Prince George's County. Marker is on Nottingham Road 0.1 miles north of Tanyard Road, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is in front of the Nottingham Schoolhouse, about 250 feet from roadway. Marker is in this post office area: Upper Marlboro MD 20772, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Nottingham Schoolhouse (here, The War of 1812 (here, next to this marker); Changing Guard (within shouting distance of this marker); Nottingham (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Merkle Wildlife Sanctuary (approx. 1.2 miles away); Shaded Reprieve (approx. 1.6 miles away); Smithville United Methodist Church (approx. 2.4 miles away); Man and the River (approx. 2.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Croom.
Categories. • African Americans • Colonial Era • Industry & Commerce • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 364 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.