Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Maxwell-Gunter Air Force Base in Montgomery County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

Gunter Annex / Gunter Basic Flying Training School

 
 
Gunter Annex Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, September 18, 2013
1. Gunter Annex Marker
Inscription. (obverse)
Gunter Annex

On 27 Aug. 1940, the AAF leased the Montgomery Municipal Airport for use as a military airfield. During WW II, the field was the home of the AAF Basic Flying Training School and was named in honor of Mayor William A. Gunter. It later housed Extension Course Institute, AU Field Printing Plant, School of Aviation Medicine, and Air Force Senior NCO Academy. Tenants included the Air Defense Sector, HQ 14th Air Force, and Standard Systems Group. The field became an Air Force base in 1948 and an Air Force station in 1973. It returned to base status in 1988 and later became an annex to Maxwell AFB in 1992.

(reverse)
Gunter Basic Flying Training School

Activated on 27 Aug. 1940, the school was among the first established under WWII Air Corps expansion program. BT-13s were the principal planes used in the 10-week training course until 1944 when they were replaced by AT-6s. Once, nearly 400 airplanes were involved in the training program and the skies over the field were hailed as the "densest air traffic in the world." The school closed September 1945, with over 12,000 cadets--American, British, and French--earning their "wings" and with British cadets dominating early classes. At the war's end, 600 Chinese students received preflight training here.
 
Erected
Gunter Basic Flying Training School Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton
2. Gunter Basic Flying Training School Marker
1996 by Montgomery Area Chamber of Commerce Historical Preservation and Promotion Foundation and the Alabama Historical Association.
 
Location. 32° 24.632′ N, 86° 14.651′ W. Marker is in Maxwell-Gunter Air Force Base, Alabama, in Montgomery County. Marker is at the intersection of East North Road and Turner Boulevard, on the left when traveling north on East North Road. Click for map. Located on Gunter AFB and requires base access. Marker is in this post office area: Montgomery AL 36114, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Corporal Vernon L. Burge (approx. half a mile away); Vietnam Service Memorial (approx. half a mile away); Operation Allied Force (approx. half a mile away); Operation Noble Eagle (approx. half a mile away); Khobar Towers Memorial (approx. half a mile away); Korean Service Memorial & Medal (approx. half a mile away); Award of Air Force Cross to Zachary J. Rhyner (approx. half a mile away); Operation Eagle Claw (approx. half a mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Maxwell-Gunter Air Force Base.
 
Categories. Air & SpaceWar, World II
 
Marker looking towards north gate of Gunter AFB. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, August 20, 2013
3. Marker looking towards north gate of Gunter AFB.
Vultee BT-13 Valiant / North American Aviation T-6 Texan aircraft. image. Click for full size.
By Public domain - USAF
4. Vultee BT-13 Valiant / North American Aviation T-6 Texan aircraft.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 478 times since then and 15 times this year. Last updated on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.   3. submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.   4. submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on December 23, 2016.
Paid Advertisement