Camden in Wilcox County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Wilcox Female Institute
Incorporated 1850 by James A. Tait, L. W. Mason, Joseph George and Associates
Original Trustees: Col. J. C. Jones, Joseph George, Maj. M. M. Bonham, D. W. Sterrett, Col. C. C. Sellers, Dr. M. Reid, J. W. Bridges, Dr. Robert Irvin, and Maj. F. K. Beck
First principal: L. B. Johnson
Deeded to State of Alabama 1908
Erected 1969 by Alabama Historical Association.
Location. 31° 59.687′ N, 87° 17.638′ W. Marker is in Camden, Alabama, in Wilcox County. Marker is at the intersection of North Broad Street (Alabama Route 28) and Fail Street, on the left when traveling north on North Broad Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 209 North Broad Street, Camden AL 36726, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lieutenant Joseph Morgan Wilcox (here, next to this marker); Camden (within shouting distance of this marker); Confederate Dead of Wilcox County (within shouting distance of this marker); Camden Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church (within shouting distance of this marker); First Presbyterian Church of Camden Veterans Monument (approx. 0.4 miles away); Postal Routes of 1820 (approx. 11.1 miles away); Prairie Mission (approx. 13 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Camden.
Also see . . . Wilcox Female Institute. Wikipedia (Submitted on August 28, 2013, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 480 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.