Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Hackensack in Bergen County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Bank House

 
 
Bank House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, March 30, 2008
1. Bank House Marker
Inscription. Erected about 1831 by the Washington Banking Company. The first bank in present Bergen County, it opened in the nearby Mansion House in 1825-26. After the bank failed in 1833, it housed the offices of prominent lawyers and judges. Later the home of the “New Jersey Citizen”, a newspaper published in the 1870ís. The original Federal style building was enlarged by additions to the side and rear in 1909.
 
Erected 1981 by Bergen County Historical Society, sponsored by Michael J. Breslin, Jr., Esq. (Marker Number 81.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the New Jersey, Bergen County Historical Society marker series.
 
Location. 40° 52.771′ N, 74° 2.614′ W. Marker is in Hackensack, New Jersey, in Bergen County. Marker is at the intersection of Washington Place and Court St., on the left when traveling east on Washington Place. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 14 Washington Place (on the Green), Hackensack NJ 07601, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hackensack Soldier and Sailor Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of the Court-House & Jail (within shouting distance of this
Bank House in Hackensack image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, March 30, 2008
2. Bank House in Hackensack
marker); First House in Hackensack (within shouting distance of this marker); Hackensack War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Archibald Campbell Family Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Mansion House (within shouting distance of this marker); Hackensack (within shouting distance of this marker); The Huguenots (within shouting distance of this marker). Click for a list of all markers in Hackensack.
 
Also see . . .
1. History of the Bank House. Bergen County Historical Society website. (Submitted on April 1, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.) 

2. Bergen County Historical Society Historic Site Markers. This marker is listed on page 62 of this book published in 1996. (Submitted on April 1, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.) 
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
Bank House on the Hackensack Green image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, March 30, 2008
3. Bank House on the Hackensack Green
The Bank House is located across the Green in front of the Hackensack Court House.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,405 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement