Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Shullsburg in Lafayette County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Saint Matthew Catholic Parish

 
 
SAINT MATTHEW CATHOLIC PARISH Marker Obverse image. Click for full size.
By Lugnuts, August 27, 2013
1. SAINT MATTHEW CATHOLIC PARISH Marker Obverse
Inscription. St. Matthew Parish was founded by Father Samuel Mazzuchelli OP on August 27, 1835 with the baptism of Henrica Murphy. Worship was held in the cabins of members until 1841 when Father Samuel built the first church which was located on the SE corner of Pious and Wisdom Street just east of the present cemetery. The first mass was said on August 1, 1841. This church building was converted to a school in 1866 and staffed by the Sinsinawa Dominican Sisters and operated until 1895. On June 19 1853 Bishop Loras of the Diocese of Dubuque laid the corner stone of the current stone church. It was not completed until 1861 when on St Patrick's Day the first mass was said. The parish property was located on four square acres donated by John Ryan and John Roberts bounded by Peace, Charity, Truth and Judgement Street. Other streets around the Church property were named virtues we could live by, Faith, Hope, Friendship, Mercy, Goodness and Happy.
 
Erected 2010 by Unknown.
 
Location. 42° 34.411′ N, 90° 13.856′ W. Marker is in Shullsburg, Wisconsin, in Lafayette County. Marker is at the intersection of Judgement Street and Truth Street, on the right when traveling north on Judgement Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Shullsburg WI 53586, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers.
SAINT MATTHEW CATHOLIC PARISH Marker Reverse image. Click for full size.
By Lugnuts, August 27, 2013
2. SAINT MATTHEW CATHOLIC PARISH Marker Reverse
At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. United Methodist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Historical Badger Park (approx. mile away); Badger Mine – Badger Lot Diggings (approx. 0.3 miles away); a different marker also named Historical Badger Park (approx. 0.4 miles away); Wisconsin Lead Region (approx. 1.6 miles away); The Old Chicago Stageroad (approx. 2.5 miles away); St. Augustine Church (approx. 5.9 miles away); Father Samuel Mazzuchelli (approx. 8.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Shullsburg.
 
Regarding Saint Matthew Catholic Parish. Father Samuel Mazzuchelli was a very popular priest here in lead country, and there are several markers located in this area that are either dedicated to him or mention him in the topic.
 
Additional keywords. Mazzuchelli
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Settlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Lugnuts of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 288 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Lugnuts of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement