“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Livingston in Overton County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)

Camp Zollicoffer

More Men than Firearms

Camp Zollicoffer Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, July 22, 2013
1. Camp Zollicoffer Marker
Inscription. Camp Zollicoffer, a Confederate induction and training base, was established here in the summer of 1861 and prepared thousands of soldiers for military life. At the time, J.D. Goodpasture owned this land, and his house stood nearby. His farm was suitable for the training camp because it had a large spring and a thirty-acre field for drilling. Officers named the camp for Gen. Felix K. Zollicoffer, a prominent Tennessee political leader and newspaperman, who died in Kentucky at the Battle of Mill Springs in January 1862.

The soldiers found camp life challenging. In August 1861, Amanda McDowell of Sparta wrote that the camp “food is beef, bacon and flour bread with no way to cook it. They have a camp kettle, and frying pan, and no dish {es} at all. Jack says they have not even got a dish rag or bit of soap, and they cannot cook decently that way.” Lt. Spencer B. Talley, 28th Tennessee Infantry, noted than many soldiers “had no arms save a few old squirrel rifles and occasional pistol.” Confederate Col. John P. Murray, the ranking officer, complained to Gen. Albert Sidney Johnston about trying to operate a camp in a region so devoid of resources. He reported having ten companies with 917 privates but only 665 weapons.

Many Confederate regiments were trained here, including Col. Sidney S Stanton’s
Camp Zollicoffer Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, July 22, 2013
2. Camp Zollicoffer Marker
25th Tennessee Infantry. Organized in August 1861, it had 683 soldiers in January 1862. It fought at Perryville, Murfreesboro, and Chickamauga, then moved to Virginia and fought at Drewry’s Bluff and Petersburg. The regiment surrendered with 4 officers and 21 men at Appomattox Court House on April 9, 1865

(Inscription under photo on left side)
Gen. Felix K. Zollicoffer-Courtesy Tennessee State Library and Archives.

(Inscription under photo on bottom right side)
This idealized view of a “Confederate camp” was published in London in 1871-Courtesy Library of Congress
Erected by Tennessee Civil War Trails.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Tennessee Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 36° 22.667′ N, 85° 22.217′ W. Marker is near Livingston, Tennessee, in Overton County. Marker is on Hilham Highway south of Day Mountain Road, on the left when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Livingston TN 38570, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Overton County Courthouse (approx. 2.7 miles away); a different marker also named Overton County Courthouse (approx. 2.7 miles away); Specialist 4 James T. Davis (approx. 2.7 miles away); Fisk Female Academy (approx. 4.1 miles away); Heart of Controversy (approx. 4.6 miles away); John Hunt Morgan (approx. 6 miles away); Camp Myers (approx. 10 miles away); Dale Hollow Dam (approx. 12 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Livingston.
Categories. War, US Civil
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 489 times since then and 121 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement