Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Bloomfield Hills in Oakland County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

The Academy of the Sacred Heart

 
 
The Academy of the Sacred Heart marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel S., July 13, 2013
1. The Academy of the Sacred Heart marker
Inscription. Responding to a request from the Antoine Beaubien family, five religious of the French order of the Sacred Heart came from New York to Detroit in 1851. The religious opened a school on Jefferson Avenue in June of that year with ten day students and three orphans. From 1851 to 1861 the school occupied three different locations on Jefferson Avenue. In 1861 the religious erected a new school there. It operated for fifty-seven years. From 1918 to 1958 the school was located on Lawrence Avenue. In addition to their Detroit endeavors, the religious operated a boarding school in Grosse Pointe Farms from 1885 to 1969. In 1958 the Detroit school was moved to Bloomfield Hills. It is the oldest continuing school among the members of the Independent Schools of Michigan.
 
Erected 1984 by Michigan History Division, Department of State. (Marker Number L1156.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
 
Location. 42° 34.771′ N, 83° 13.625′ W. Marker is in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan, in Oakland County. Marker is on Kensington Road 0.4 miles north of Wattles Road, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1250 Kensington Road, Bloomfield Hills MI 48304, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers.
The Academy of the Sacred Heart marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel S., July 13, 2013
2. The Academy of the Sacred Heart marker
At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Kresge Foundation (approx. 2.2 miles away); Huston Building (approx. 2.3 miles away); Bell Building (approx. 2.3 miles away); The Erity-Nixon Building (approx. 2.3 miles away); The National Bank Building (approx. 2.3 miles away); The Quarton Building (approx. 2.3 miles away); S.S. Kresge Company (approx. 2.3 miles away); Billy McBride Building (approx. 2.3 miles away).
 
Also see . . .
1. Academy of the Sacred Heart. (Submitted on September 3, 2013, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.)
2. Association of Independent Michigan Schools. (Submitted on September 3, 2013, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.)
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Education
 
The Academy of the Sacred Heart image. Click for full size.
By Joel S., July 13, 2013
3. The Academy of the Sacred Heart
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 241 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement