Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fort Howard in Baltimore County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Fort Howard

 
 
Fort Howard Marker image. Click for full size.
By F. Robby, September 20, 2010
1. Fort Howard Marker
Inscription. Built here in 1896 to defend Baltimore from possible naval attack. Named for Col. John Eager Howard, Revolutionary hero. Five coastal artillery batteries bore names of Col. Davis Harris; Francis Scott Key; Judge Joseph H. Nicholson; Brig. Gen. John Stricker. A sixth battery honored Dr. Jesse W. Lazear of Baltimore who gave his life in 1900 to further Yellow Fever research. Fort remained under Army command until 1940 but its guns were never fired in anger.
 
Erected by Patapsco Neck Bicentennial Committee, Maryland Historical Society.
 
Location. 39° 11.944′ N, 76° 26.847′ W. Marker is in Fort Howard, Maryland, in Baltimore County. Marker is on Gettysburg Avenue 0.3 miles south of North Point Road (Maryland Route 20), on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is .3 miles from the entrance to Fort Howard. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Howard MD 21052, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Fort Howard (approx. mile away); Battery Nicholson (approx. mile away); North Point Beachhead (approx. 0.3 miles away); Searchlight Power House
Fort Howard Marker image. Click for full size.
By F. Robby, September 20, 2010
2. Fort Howard Marker
Looking south along Gettysburg Avenue - Chesapeake Bay in the distance.
(approx. 0.3 miles away); Power House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Battery Clagett (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Landing (approx. 0.8 miles away); The Presbytery of Baltimore (approx. 1.1 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Fort Howard.
 
Categories. Forts, CastlesScience & MedicineWar of 1812War, Spanish-American
 
Fort Howard Marker image. Click for full size.
By F. Robby, September 20, 2010
3. Fort Howard Marker
Looking west out into the mouth of the Patapsco River.
Fort Howard Plan 1921 image. Click for full size.
4. Fort Howard Plan 1921
Showing the location of the six batteries named on the marker. All but the Lazear battery (on the left) still exist today, on the section of the fort that was turned over to Baltimore County and is now Fort Howard Park.
Battery Nicholson image. Click for full size.
By F. Robby, September 10, 2013
5. Battery Nicholson
Named for Joseph Nicholson who commanded volunteers at Fort McHenry during the British bombardment of that fort in the War of 1812.
Battery Stricker image. Click for full size.
By F. Robby, September 10, 2013
6. Battery Stricker
Named for General John Stricker of the Maryland Militia during the Battle of Baltimore in the War of 1812.
Battery Harris image. Click for full size.
By F. Robby, September 10, 2013
7. Battery Harris
Named for Col. David Harris of an artillery regiment during the Battle of Baltimore in the War of 1812.
Battery Key image. Click for full size.
By F. Robby, September 10, 2013
8. Battery Key
Named for Francis Scott Key who wrote the Star-Spangled Banner after watching the bombardment of Fort McHenry in the War of 1812.
Battery Claggett image. Click for full size.
By F. Robby, September 10, 2013
9. Battery Claggett
Named for Levi Claggett who was the only person killed during the British bombardment of Fort McHenry in the War of 1812.
Vietnam Training Hut image. Click for full size.
By F. Robby, September 10, 2013
10. Vietnam Training Hut
This hut is also located on the county park section of the former Fort Howard.
Veterans Hospital image. Click for full size.
By F. Robby, September 8, 2013
11. Veterans Hospital
Fort Howard was turned over to the Veterans Administration in 1940. This hospital building is the focal point of the property, but was abandoned in 2002.
Officer Quarters image. Click for full size.
By F. Robby, September 8, 2013
12. Officer Quarters
There are about a dozen boarded up houses that were used by both the Fort and the VA.
Francis Scott Key Bridge image. Click for full size.
By F. Robby, September 8, 2013
13. Francis Scott Key Bridge
View from the marker area, looking northwest towards the Francis Scott Key Bridge. Sparrows Point is in front of the bridge. Fort McHenry is about 3 miles beyond the bridge, and the Baltimore inner harbor another mile past that.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 478 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland.   4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13. submitted on , by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement