“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Gallatin in Sumner County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)

Gallatin Public Square

Heart of Federal Occupation

Gallatin Public Square Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, July 23, 2013
1. Gallatin Public Square Marker
Inscription. Early in 1861, Gallatin and Sumner County were divided over secession, but after the fall of Fort Sumter, residents voted almost ten to one in favor. Support of the Confederacy never wavered, as Capt. Benjamin S. Nicklin, 13th Battery, Indiana Light Artillery, wrote in 1864, “This County has not even the germ of loyalty in it.”

With the Louisville and Nashville Railroad located just northwest of the public square and the Cumberland River three miles south of here, Gallatinís logistical importance to the Union was obvious. Federal forces occupied the town in February 1862. Confederate Gen. John Hunt Morgan raided Gallatin throughout the war to disrupt Union supply routes. In August 1862 Morganís troops destroyed the train depot, the railroad tunnel leading to Bowling Green, Kentucky and the railroad bridge leading to Nashville. After Morgan withdrew, Union Gen. Eleazar Paine reoccupied Gallatin in November 1862 and constructed Fort Thomas, a star-shaped work about 900 yards northwest of here, to protect this transportation hub.

The square served many purposes, including that of an enlistment center. In July 1863, two hundred local African Americans enlisted in the U.S. Army. They were part of the 13th U.S. Colored Troops (USCT), formed at Nashville in November 1863, the same month that the 14th USCT was
Gallatin Public Square Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, July 23, 2013
2. Gallatin Public Square Marker
formed in Gallatin.

Today, several significant Civil War-era buildings remain in Gallatin. Trousdale Place (1815), two blocks west of here, served various functions of the U.S. Army. Next to Trousdale Place, First Presbyterian Church (1836) was used as a hospital. The Williamson Adams Carriage Factory (1839), three blocks east of here, became a Federal barracks.

First Presbyterian Church Sumner County Archives
Public Square - Courtesy Sumner County Archives
Fort Thomas and Louisville & Nashville RR Courtesy Sumner County Archives
Erected by Tennessee Civil War Trails.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Tennessee Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 36° 23.283′ N, 86° 26.867′ W. Marker is in Gallatin, Tennessee, in Sumner County. Marker is on West Main Street (Tennessee Route 25) west of South Water Avenue (Old Tennessee Highway 109), on the right when traveling west. Click for map. The marker is on the grounds of the Gallatin City Hall. Marker is in this post office area: Gallatin TN 37066, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Gallatin, Tennessee (within shouting distance of this marker); First Presbyterian Church
Gallatin City Hall image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, July 23, 2013
3. Gallatin City Hall
(about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Trousdale Place (about 400 feet away); a different marker also named Trousdale Place (about 500 feet away); Randy's Record Shop (about 500 feet away); Tennessee's First African-American Civil War Volunteers (about 600 feet away); Monument to the Fallen (approx. 0.4 miles away); Sumner County Tennessee Mexican-American War Monument (approx. 0.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Gallatin.
Categories. War, US Civil
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 327 times since then and 52 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement