Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lawton in Van Buren County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Houppert Winery

 
 
Houppert Winery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, September 4, 2013
1. Houppert Winery Marker
Inscription. Grape growing began in Lawton in 1868 when A.B. Jones planted 100 vines. By 1900 many eastern Van Buren County farmers converted their land to vineyards. In 1903 the Lawton Vineyard Company built a winery on this site, which William C. Houppert purchased in 1933. The region's grape production peaked in 1939. During the harvest the Houppert Winery took in 200 to 400 tons of grapes daily. On June 7, 1940, Houppert's prosperity ended when fire destroyed the complex. Houppert rebuilt the winery, but he never recovered financially. In 1943 he sold the property to the predecessor of the Warner Vineyards of Paw Paw, which operated the winery through the 1970s. In 1990 the Lawton Lions Club purchased the winery and rehabilitated it as a community center and museum.
 
Erected 2000 by Michigan Historical Center, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L2017.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
 
Location. 42° 10.469′ N, 85° 50.448′ W. Marker is in Lawton, Michigan, in Van Buren County. Marker can be reached from N. Nursery Street 0.2 miles north of Acorn Lane, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is located behind
Houppert Winery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, September 4, 2013
2. Houppert Winery Marker
Near rear entrance of Lawton Community Center and Museum
the building of the Lawton Community Center and Museum near the rear entrance. Marker is at or near this postal address: 646 N. Nursery St, Lawton MI 49065, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lawton Civil War Monument (approx. 0.6 miles away); St. Mark's Church / The Reverend Darius Barker (approx. 3.7 miles away); Warner Wine Haus (approx. 3.7 miles away); Van Buren County / Van Buren County Courthouse (approx. 3.8 miles away); Paw Paw Public Library (approx. 3.9 miles away); William Killefer Jr. / Wade Killefer (approx. 4.1 miles away); Charles R. Maxwell (approx. 4.1 miles away); Territorial Road (approx. 4.1 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  History of the Site of the Houppert Winery. From the Lawton Heritage Community Center website. (Submitted on September 6, 2013.) 
 
Categories. Agriculture
 
Lawton Community Center and Museum image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, September 4, 2013
3. Lawton Community Center and Museum
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 262 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement