Paw Paw in Van Buren County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
St. Mark's Church / The Reverend Darius Barker
St. Mark's Church
St. Mark's parish, organized at the county courthouse on February 22, 1851, is Paw Paw's oldest Episcopal congregation. The Reverend Voltaire Spaulding conducted the first service in a vacant store. The present church's cornerstone was laid on the Feast of St. Mark, April 25, 1876. Joseph Davey built the church under the leadership of the Reverend Darius Barker. Bishop George Gillespie consecrated it on December 6, 1876. The bell tower with a bell donated by the Reverend George Schetky and his family was added in 1882.
The Reverend Darius Barker
The Reverend Darius Barker was born in 1805 at Unity, New Hampshire. He came to Michigan in 1839, living in Lenawee and Jackson counties. In 1866 Barker became the first resident rector of St. Mark's Episcopal Church. Barker used part of his house, located at the intersection of Oak and Van Buren streets, as a chapel until the present church was built in 1876. Barker extended his pastoral duties to include other Van Buren County communities. He died on May 29, 1892, and was buried in Prospect Cemetery in Paw Paw.
Erected 1987 by Bureau of History, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L1375A.)
Marker series. Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
Location. 42° 13.074′ N, 85° 53.034′ W. Marker is in Paw Paw, Michigan, in Van Buren County. Marker is at the intersection of E. Michigan Avenue and N. Van Buren Street, on the left when traveling east on E. Michigan Avenue. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 609 E. Michigan Ave, Paw Paw MI 49079, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Van Buren County / Van Buren County Courthouse (approx. 0.3 miles away); Paw Paw Public Library (approx. 0.4 miles away); William Killefer Jr. / Wade Killefer (approx. half a mile away); Charles R. Maxwell (approx. half a mile away); Warner Wine Haus (approx. half a mile away); Territorial Road (approx. 0.6 miles away); Houppert Winery (approx. 3.7 miles away); Lawton Civil War Monument (approx. 3.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Paw Paw.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 333 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.