“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Shiner in Lavaca County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)

Half Moon

Half Moon Marker image. Click for full size.
By Richard Denney, November 30, 2012
1. Half Moon Marker
Inscription. The community of Half Moon was first mentioned in a 1689 account from Gov. Alonso de Leon's expedition when the group encountered a Native American tribe that called Half Moon their home. The area was known as Half Moon due to the peculiar shape of the timber in the area. This location on Rocky Creek was a natural gathering place for Native Americans and travelers. Since the 1830s, settlers have flocked to the area to engage in trade and farming. One of the early settlers was German immigrant George Herder who participated in the Texas War for Independence and built a home in the area. During the height of the town, from 1885 to 1887, the community consisted of mercantile businesses, a saloon, a post office, and a number of other buildings, including a structure for the Woodmen of the World organization.

In 1887, Henry B. Shiner donated land for a railroad and the building of a town, which later became known as Shiner. For a short while, the area was known as New Half Moon. Once the Aransas Pass Railroad switch was constructed on Shiner's land, transportation bypassed Half Moon and the town's activity and population slowly decreased. Half Moon continued to play a significant role in the economic, political and social life of the people in the area with a number of events such as a rabbit hunt and a 4th of July celebration.
Half Moon Marker image. Click for full size.
By Richard Denney, November 30, 2012
2. Half Moon Marker
View of marker in context
The Half Moon community served as a focal point for bringing people together through trade and served as the foundation for the population of Shiner. Half Moon is an example of the influence of small communities that led to the development of larger cities.
175 Years of Texas Independence 1836-2011
Marker is property of the State of Texas

Erected 2011 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 16962.)
Location. 29° 26.112′ N, 97° 11.902′ W. Marker is in Shiner, Texas, in Lavaca County. Marker is at the intersection of County Route 533 and County Route 342, on the left when traveling south on County Route 533. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Shiner TX 77984, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Herder Half Moon Place (approx. 0.9 miles away); Spoetzl Brewery (approx. 1.9 miles away); Kaspar Wire Works (approx. 2 miles away); Saints Cyril and Methodius Catholic Church (approx. 2.1 miles away); Cuero I Archeological District (approx. 10.9 miles away); Stagecoach Inn (approx. 11.4 miles away).
Categories. Native AmericansRailroads & StreetcarsSettlements & SettlersWar, Texas Independence
Half Moon Marker image. Click for full size.
By Richard Denney
3. Half Moon Marker
Panorama of country behind the marker where Half Moon was located.
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. This page has been viewed 372 times since then and 89 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement