Edgemere in Baltimore County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Shaw Family Cemetery
The Shaw residence, located 100 feet west, was used by the British officers as a staging headquarters in the War of 1812 - Battle of North Point.
On September 12, 1814 legend has daughter Eleanor Shaw leaping from a second floor window to avoid improper advances of a British officer. General Robert Ross sent him back to the fleet in disgrace and left this site for the Battle of North Point. The house was dismantled by the Bethlehem Steel Company in 1976.
Erected by Dundalk-Patapsco Neck Historical Society and Museum.
Location. 39° 13.679′ N, 76° 26.012′ W. Marker is in Edgemere, Maryland, in Baltimore County. Marker is at the intersection of Foulkes Farm Road and North Point Spur, on the left when traveling south on Foulkes Farm Road. Click for map. North Point Spur is closed to vehicles. Marker is accessible from North Point Road's intersection with unmarked, unpaved Foulkes Farm Road. Marker is in this post office area: Sparrows Point MD 21219, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies Unexpected Resistance (approx. half a mile away); North Point (approx. 0.8 miles away); Todd’s Inheritance (approx. one mile away); a different marker also named Todd’s Inheritance (approx. one mile away but has been reported missing); A Heavy Price (approx. one mile away); The Presbytery of Baltimore (approx. one mile away); Wetlands (approx. 1.1 miles away); The Landing (approx. 1.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Edgemere.
Categories. • War of 1812 •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 380 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.