Hilton Head Island in Beaufort County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Zion Chapel of Ease and Cemetery
Erected 1973 by Hilton Head Island Historical Society. (Marker Number 7-12.)
Location. 32° 12.118′ N, 80° 41.961′ W. Marker is in Hilton Head Island, South Carolina, in Beaufort County. Marker is on Mathews Drive near Folly Field Road and William Hilton Parkway (U.S. 278), on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is near a driveway at the southbound merge of Mathews Drive (Folly Field) to US 278 (William Hilton Parkway). Marker is in this post office area: Hilton Head Island SC 29928, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. In Memoriam (within shouting distance of this marker); Revolutionary War Ambush (within shouting distance of this marker); Hilton Head Island Veterans Memorial (approx. 1.5 miles away); Fort Sherman (approx. 1.8 miles away); History Of The Dolphin Head Area (approx. 2.1 miles away); Fort Howell - 1864 (approx. 2.3 miles away); Fort Howell (approx. 2.3 miles away); St. James Baptist Church (approx. 2.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Hilton Head Island.
Regarding Zion Chapel of Ease and Cemetery. During the American Revolution nearby Daufuskie Island split with the main of South Carolina and maintained its ties to England, from which the planters had gained a generous price for their main crop of indigo. This created tension with Patriots on Hilton Head; their derisive moniker for Daufuskie was "Little Bermuda," and the island's inhabitants. This mutual disdain occasionally erupted into violence, including the murder of Daufuskian Capt. Martinangel by a "Bloody Legion" from Hilton Head, who retaliated for his killing of Hilton Head planter Charles Davant.
Also see . . . Wikipedia entry for Hilton Head Island, SC. In 1788, a small Episcopal church called the Zion Chapel of Ease was constructed for plantation owners. The old cemetery, located near the corner of William Hilton Parkway and Mathews Drive (Folly Field), is all that remains. Charles Davant, a prominent island planter during the Revolutionary War, is buried there. He was shot by Captain Martinangel of Daufuskie Island in 1781. [ "Reference Desk," Beaufort County Public Library - Hilton Head Island, Accessed May 19, 2007]
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Colonial Era • Landmarks • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on April 3, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 3,382 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 5, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. submitted on April 3, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.