“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Portland in Robertson County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)

Duval-Groves House

Camp Trousdale

Duval-Groves House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, July 23, 2013
1. Duval-Groves House Marker
Inscription. James Duval constructed this house between 1850 and 1853, and James and Mariah Groves owned and occupied it during the Civil War. Mariah Groves lived here until her death in 1897. Groves family members shown in the photograph reminisced about soldiers who knocked on their doors (one died on that front step) and about nearby Camp Trousdale, a major Confederate training camp.

Established in 1861, Camp Trousdale was relocated twice before settling permanently just under a mile east of here. The camp contained tents and temporary huts constructed on Summers Beach. Most soldiers arrived by train, and by July 1861, the camp held more than 6,000 men.

After the fall of Fort Donelson in February 1862, thousands of Union soldiers streamed past here southward along the Louisville and Nashville Turnpike and the railroad. Because of their numbers and the lack of army provisions, they foraged here and throughout the countryside for food and supplies. The Duval-Groves is a private residence.

“The fine brick house that was near the junction of the turnpike and the branch along which the soldiers went to camp hardly seems a day older. The small grove of cedars in the yard has grown to magnificent proportions. The old drill field does not seem as large as then. Besides, there are well-grown forests where then were
Duval-Groves House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, July 23, 2013
2. Duval-Groves House Marker
tillable fields. The old mill—by which there was a brewery at which we got still beer that looked like buttermilk and was both delicious and as harmless—is still there and well preserved.”
— Capt. Hester, who revisited the Duval-Groves House and the site of Camp Trousdale in 1909

This idealized view of a “Confederate camp” was published in London in 1871. - Courtesy Library of Congress
Duval-Groves House - Courtesy Robertson County Archives
Erected by Tennessee Civil War Trails.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Tennessee Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 36° 37.144′ N, 86° 34.373′ W. Marker is near Portland, Tennessee, in Robertson County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 31W and Highland Road, on the right when traveling south on U.S. 31W. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Portland TN 37148, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Triangular Jog (approx. 1.1 miles away in Kentucky); Civil War in Tennessee (approx. 1.2 miles away); Fort Smith (approx. 1.4 miles away); Replica of Stone #38
Duval-Groves House image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, July 23, 2013
3. Duval-Groves House
(approx. 1.7 miles away in Kentucky); Oklahoma City Bombing Memorial (approx. 1.7 miles away in Kentucky); Tennessee Maneuvers World War II (approx. 2.3 miles away); Cold Spring School (approx. 3 miles away); Birthplace of T.O. Chisholm / Noted Hymn Writer (1866-1960) (approx. 3.4 miles away in Kentucky). Click for a list of all markers in Portland.
Categories. War, US Civil
Barn in rear of the house. image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, July 23, 2013
4. Barn in rear of the house.
Mockingbird Hill Farm, circa 1833, Historic Civil War Landmark
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 361 times since then and 88 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement