Near Garretson in Minnehaha County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
1908 Palisades Bridge
A milldam bridge was built nearby in 1870 when C. W. Patten erected a flour mill on high ground northwest of the
In 1883 a bridge was built on this site. It made the uphill grade less abrupt for loaded wagons heading to Pattenís Mill and the village of Palisade. An ice jam destroyed this bridge in the spring of 1896 by lifting it from its moorings and floating it downstream.
The 1908 Palisades Bridge was listed on the National Register of Historic Place in 1999.
Erected 2000 by Minnehaha County and South Dakota State Historical Societies.
Location. 43° 41.34′ Click for map. The bridge crosses Split Rock Creek within the Palisades State Park. The road dead ends after crossing the bridge and has no route number or name. It is off 255th Street which is a park road. The marker is on the west end of the bridge. Marker is in this post office area: Garretson SD 57030, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 4 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Garretson (approx. 2.2 miles away); Minnehaha County (approx. 6.2 miles away); The Amidon Affair (approx. 12.5 miles away); Frederick Manfredís “Siouxland” (approx. 13.6 miles away).
Also see . . . South Dakota State Parks Directory/Palisades. (Submitted on September 14, 2013, by Roger Dean Meyer of Yankton, South Dakota.)
Categories. • Bridges & Viaducts •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Roger Dean Meyer of Yankton, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 394 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Roger Dean Meyer of Yankton, South Dakota. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.