Georgetown in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The ropewalk receives its name from the long path used for the laying out of individual yarns of rope prior to twisting them together.
Rope making was accomplished by first combing hemp and attaching it to a clockwise revolving hook spinning it into yarns.
Several yarns were then attached to separate hooks and twisted together counterclockwise to form strands. These three strands were twisted together clockwise again making rope.
Because of the constant change in direction, the rope would not unravel. If a larger rope was needed, three ropes could be twisted together to form anchor cable.
Location. 38° 54.781′ N, 77° 3.647′ W. Marker is in Georgetown, District of Columbia, in Washington. Marker can be reached from the intersection of R Street and Avon Place. Click for map. Marker is in Montrose Park in Georgetown Heights. Marker is in this post office area: Washington DC 20007, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Watching the Flames (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Dumbarton Oaks (about 700 feet Lillie Mackall (approx. 0.2 miles away); South Lawn (approx. 0.2 miles away); Garage (approx. 0.2 miles away); Evermay (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Presbyterian Congregation in George Town, (approx. ¼ mile away); Emma V. Brown Residence (approx. ¼ mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Georgetown.
1. Elderslie, Parrott's Woods and the Ropewalk
Industrialist Richard Parrott put together a large property here between 1804 and 1813. He built a ropewalk and a Federal Style mansion house he called Elderslie. The area around including the grounds of Oak Hill Cemetery came to be known as "Parrott's Woods." The property passed to Clement Smith in 1822 when Parrott died. In 1837 it became the property of Mary McEwan Boyce and later the property of her husband Captain William Boyce. The Boyce's named the the place Montrose. In 1911 the property became Montrose Park after extensive lobbying by Sarah Rittenhouse. The decaying house was torn down and formal grounds were designed by George Burnap
— Submitted September 16, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 368 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on January 27, 2017.