Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Munich, Bavaria, Germany — Southern Germany (Scarplands and Alpine Region)
 

The Wilhelminische or Old Academy Building

Das Wilhelminische oder Alte Akademie Gebäude

 
 
The Wilhelminische or Old Academy Building Marker, panel 1 image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, July 22, 2013
1. The Wilhelminische or Old Academy Building Marker, panel 1
Inscription. This marker is composed of two main panels. Additionally, there is a small historical building marker nearby.
(panel 1)
Das Wilhelminische
oder
Alte Akademie-Gebäude
Den ältesten an die St. Michaelskirche stossenden Teil dieses heute die Alte Akademie genannten Gebäudes erbaute Herzog Albrecht v. als Jesuitengymnasium 1574 - 76. Im N. und W. anschliessend errichtete Herzog Wilhem v. 1585-98 ein Jesuitencollegium. Gteichzeitig 1583 - 97 ist auch die Michaelskirche erbaut. Baumeister für beide waren Wendel Dietrich von Augsburg und Wolfgang Müller von München.

Im 17. und 18. Jahrhundert wurde nach und nach der im S.W. an die Kapellenstrasse stossende Flügel aufgeführt, seine heutige Gestalt erhielter 1808 – 1811 durch den Hofbau-Intendanten A. Gärtner.

Gleichzeitig wurde der Querbau im Hofe jetzt Akademie der Wissenschaften errichlet sowie ein Teil des Langbaues an der Kapellenstrasse beide für eine Schule der bildenden Kunst. Seine jetzige Gestalt erhielt der Langbau erst 1844 - 46.

Der westliche Flügel des an die Maxburgstrasse stossenden Baues erhielt 1696 ein zweites, 1811 ein drittes Stockwerk, während der dritte Stock des östlichen Flügels, 1808 aufgesetzl wurde.

In den Jahren 1886 - 87 wurde das ganze Alte Akademiegebäude zu seiner heutigen
The Wilhelminische or Old Academy Building Marker, panel 2 image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, July 22, 2013
2. The Wilhelminische or Old Academy Building Marker, panel 2
Gestalt teils umgebaut teils renoviert.

Aufgestelit im J. 1890.

(panel 2)
Das Wilhelminische
oder
Alte Akademie Gebäude
Die älteren Teile des Gebäudes dienten von ihrer Erbauung bis zur Authebung des Jesuiten-Ordens 1773 die sem Orden als Gymnasium und Kollegium. Dann gelangten sie nach vorübergehender Benützung durch den Malteserorden und verschiedene Kurfürstliche Behörden, 1783 an die im Jahre 1759 gestiftete

Akademie der Wissenschaften.
Neben der Akademie befanden sich noch folgende bedeutendere Hof u. Stantsanstalten im Gebäude. Zentral=spätere Staatsbibliothek 1774 – 1843. Kadettenkorps 1775 – 1826, Landesarchiv 1784 – 1844. Kurfürstl. Maler-Bidhaurer-u. Zeichen Schule 1781 – 1809. Akademie der bildenden Künste 1809 – 1885. Universität 1826 - 40. Handelsministerium 1842 - 66. Landtags archive 1845 - 68. Schwurgerichtshof 1848-57. Heate teilen sich mit der K. Akademie der Wissenschaften und den wissenschaftlichen Sammlungen des Staates folgende Staatsstellen in den Besitz des Gebäudes: Oberstes Landesgericht und Geheimes Staatsarchiv seit 1845. Rechnungskammer seit 1865. Oberlandesgericht seit 1879. eine Postfiliale seit 1887.

Aufgestelit im J. 1890.

German – English translation:
(panel 1)
The
Old Academy Marker </b>(Marker 5) image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, July 22, 2013
3. Old Academy Marker (Marker 5)
Alte Akademie
Erbaut als
Jesuitenkollegium
Von Friedrich Sustris
1585 – 1597

German – English translation:
Old Academy
built as the
Jesuit College
by Friedrich Sustris
1585 - 1597
Wilhelminische
or
Old Academy Building
The oldest was built abutting the St. Michael's Church today part of the Old Academy building called Duke Albrecht of 1574-76 as a Jesuit school. In N. W. Duke and then built a Jesuit Collegium Wilhelm v. 1585-98. Gteichzeitig 1583-97 is also Michael's Church was built. Builder for both were spiral of Augsburg Dietrich and Wolfgang Müller of Munich.

In the 17th and 18 Century was gradually in the S.W. listed at the Chapel Street pellent wing, its present shape erhielter 1808 - 1811 by the Hofbau-director A. Gardener.

Simultaneously, the transept was now Errichlet Academy of Sciences in the court and part of the Chapel Street Langbaues both for a school of fine arts. Its present form was only the nave of 1844 - 46.

The western wing of the building abutting the Maxburgstrasse received in 1696 a second, in 1811 a third floor, while the third floor of the east wing, in 1808 aufgesetzl.

In the years 1886 - 87 the Old Academy building was partly rebuilt partly renovated to its present form.

Aufgestelit in the year, 1890.

(panel 2)
Wilhelmine
or
Old Academy building
The older part of the building served by its construction to Authebung of the Jesuit order in 1773, this Order as the high school and college. Then they
The Wilhelminische or Old Academy Building Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, July 22, 2013
4. The Wilhelminische or Old Academy Building Marker
came for temporary use by the Order of Malta and various electoral authorities, the 1783 donated in 1759

Academy of Sciences.
In addition to the Academy still more substantial farm and Stantsanstalten were in the building. Central later = State Library from 1774 to 1843. Cadet Corps 1775 - 1826, National Archives from 1784 to 1844. Electoral. Painter Bidhaurer-u. Drawing School from 1781 to 1809. Academy of Fine Arts from 1809 to 1885. University 1826 - 40. Department of Commerce 1842 - 66. Landtag 1845 - 68 archive. Court of Assizes 1848 - 57. Heate share with the K. Academy of Science and the scientific collections of the State, the state governing bodies in the possession of the building: Supreme Court of Appeal and Secret State Archives since 1845. Accounts Chamber since 1865. For Oberlandesgericht in 1879. A post office since 1887.

Aufgestelit in the year, 1890.

 
Erected 1890.
 
Location. 48° 8.323′ N, 11° 34.181′ E. Marker is in Munich, Bavaria. Marker is on Neuhauser Strasse, on the left when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Neuhauser Strasse 8, Munich, Bavaria 80331, Germany.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Church of Saint Michael (within shouting
The Wilhelminische or Old Academy Building Markers image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, July 22, 2013
5. The Wilhelminische or Old Academy Building Markers
distance of this marker); Gottfried Keller (about 120 meters away, measured in a direct line); Cathedral Church of Our Lady (approx. 0.2 kilometers away); The Expansion of the Church of Our Lady Lane (approx. 0.2 kilometers away); Georg Lankensperger (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Maximilian Joseph - Earl of Montgelas (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Miesbach to Munich Power Transmission (approx. half a kilometer away); Franz Marc (approx. 0.7 kilometers away). Click for a list of all markers in Munich.
 
Categories. EducationScience & Medicine
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 393 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.   3. submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.   4. submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.   5. submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement