Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Monterey in Monterey County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

The Stevenson House

 
 
The Stevenson House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, September 11, 2013
1. The Stevenson House Marker
Captions: Robert Louis Stevenson spent his time in Monterey writing, exploring and making friends. (top right); ”The town, when I was there, was a place of two or three streets, economically paved with sea-sand...” (center); The oldest parts of this adobe date from 1840. It was built by Rafael Gonzales, an administrator of the Custom House. Swiss immigrant Juan Girardin and his wife Manuela Perez de Girardin expanded the building and rented rooms to sailors, tradesmen, and artists. (bottom left).
Inscription. Robert Louis Stevenson visited Monterey for three and a half months in the fall of 1879. He came to win the hand of Mrs. Fanny Osbourne. During part of his stay, it is believed he occupied the second-floor room of this house, which was then called the French Hotel. While in Monterey he wrote an essay, The Old Pacific Capital, and gathered ideas for later works including Treasure Island.
The house was donated to the state in 1941 by Mrs. Celia Tobin Clark and Mrs. Edith Van Antwerp as a memorial to Robert Louis Stevenson.
Today the building holds one of the world’s most important collections of Stevenson’s personal belongings.

 
Erected by Monterey State Historic Park.
 
Location. 36° 35.845′ N, 121° 53.603′ W. Marker is in Monterey, California, in Monterey County. Marker is on Houston Street, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 530 Houston Street, Monterey CA 93940, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Robert Louis Stevenson House (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Stevenson House (a few steps from this marker); Sherman Rose Inn
The Stevenson House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, September 15, 2013
2. The Stevenson House Marker
(a few steps from this marker); First Newspaper in California (within shouting distance of this marker); Griffin Plaza (within shouting distance of this marker); Mary Corning Winslow Black Studio (within shouting distance of this marker); Casa Abrego (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Jules Simoneau Plaza (about 300 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Monterey.
 
Also see . . .
1. Monterey's Stevenson House Adobe and Garden - Monterey County Historical Society. This fine old adobe sheltered Robert Louis Stevenson during his visit to Monterey in 1879 to be near his lady love, Fanny Van de Grift Osbourne, whom he eventually married. While in Monterey, he wrote The Old Capitol. (Submitted on September 28, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.) 

2. Robert Louis Stevenson House, 530 Houston Street, Monterey, Monterey County, CA. The Historic American Buildings Survey Record for the Stevenson House: Original owner, Don Rafael Gonzales, used building as a warehouse. Larger of two buildings which were joined together was where Stevenson stayed
The Stevenson House image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, September 15, 2013
3. The Stevenson House
for four months during 1879 when it was called French Hotel and operated by Dr. and Mrs. J. P. Heintz. Mrs. Heintz was the daughter of the owner Dona Manuela Girardin. Passed through several owners and in 1937 was owned by Edith C. van Antwerp and Mrs. C. Tobin Clarke and the lower floor used as shops.
(Submitted on September 29, 2013.) 
 
Categories. Arts, Letters, Music
 
The Stevenson House (1934) image. Click for full size.
By Robert W. Kerrigan, 1936
4. The Stevenson House (1934)
The Stevenson House as it appeared in the 1930s, when it was The Casablanca, a shop specializing in interior decorations and antiquities. Note behind the car is one of the original Monterey-style historical markers, reading "House where Robert Louis Stevenson lived during the latter part of 1879". Note also the sign that now reads French Hotel then read R. Stevenson House.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 409 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.   4. submitted on . • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement