Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Littleville in Colbert County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

History of Littleville, Alabama

 
 
History of Littleville, Alabama Marker (side 1) image. Click for full size.
By Sandra Hughes, October 1, 2013
1. History of Littleville, Alabama Marker (side 1)
Inscription. (side 1)
Capt. Benjamin F. Little, a former Confederate soldier, opened a store here after the railroad from Tuscumbia to Russellville was built in 1887. A train station and several houses were soon erected. A rail spur provided access to nearby iron ore mines. Capt. A.H. Keller owned a sandstone quarry and summer resort called Fern Quarry near Keller Springs just north of the town in the 1880s and 1890s. The stone was used in construction of a blast furnace and commercial buildings in Sheffield. In 1917, Jackson Highway (U.S. Hwy 43) was constructed along the general route of the old Jackson Military Road.
(Continued on other side)
(side 2)
(Continued from other side)
According to local lore, early settler Hezekiah Tharp's wife Nancy was a daughter of Chickasaw Chief George Colbert (the county is named for him and his brother Levi). Ligon Springs, 1~1/2 miles west, was a popular summer resort in the 1870s. The water was advertised as a cure for dropsy, dyspepsia, sore eyes, kidney diseases, etc. By 1910, Littleville had a population of 30. Its merchants were J.D. Bullington, general merchandise; G.W. Hargett, lumber; M.C. Murray, general merchandise; L.O. Breitling, bakery; and C.J. Brockaway, lawyer. The town was incorporated in 1956 and Frank
History of Littleville, Alabama Marker (side 2) image. Click for full size.
By Sandra Hughes, October 1, 2013
2. History of Littleville, Alabama Marker (side 2)
Bullington became the first mayor.
 
Erected 2010 by Alabama Tourism Department and the Town of Littleville.
 
Location. 34° 35.312′ N, 87° 40.591′ W. Marker is in Littleville, Alabama, in Colbert County. Marker is at the intersection of George Wallace Highway (U.S. 43) and Lynwood Avenue (County Route 77), on the right when traveling north on George Wallace Highway. Click for map. Marker is located in front of the Littleville Town Hall and Police Department. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1810 George Wallace Hwy, Russellville AL 35654, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Belle Mont (approx. 5.4 miles away); Historic Roxy Theatre (approx. 6.4 miles away); Russellville (approx. 6.6 miles away); LaGrange College (approx. 8.3 miles away); The Blues Trail: Mississippi to Alabama (approx. 8.8 miles away); Newburg (approx. 8.9 miles away); Tuscumbia's Oakwood Cemetery (approx. 9.4 miles away); Trenholm High School (approx. 9.6 miles away).
 
Also see . . .
1. Benjamin F Little. Serg. CO H, 4th ALA INF, Confederate States Army (Submitted on October 2, 2013, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa.) 

2. Arthur Henry Keller. Civil War Confederate Army Officer. He was the father of Helen Keller (Submitted on October 2, 2013, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa.) 

3. Frank Howard Bullington
History of Littleville, Alabama Marker image. Click for full size.
By Sandra Hughes, October 1, 2013
3. History of Littleville, Alabama Marker
. Former mayor of Littleville dies. (Submitted on October 2, 2013, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa.) 
 
Categories. Settlements & SettlersWar, US Civil
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. This page has been viewed 547 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement