Coldwater in Branch County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
State Public School at Coldwater / Coldwater Regional Center
State Public School at Coldwater
In 1871 the Michigan legislature authorized the building of a special state public school to furnish temporary support and instruction for dependent and neglected children between the ages of four and sixteen until they could be placed in homes or returned to their families. The school was opened in Coldwater on May 21, 1874. Once admitted, children participated in "family-like" life in cottages and a placing-out program. A third of each day was used for schoolwork, a third for recreation and entertainment, and a third for acquiring work skills. Children learned reading, spelling, counting, calisthenics, singing, cyphering, and slate drawing. By the turn of the century the facility had become the only home in Michigan admitting both normal and handicapped children.
Coldwater Regional Center
By an act of the state legislature the State Public School became the Michigan Children's Village in 1835. The facility then began to admit only children with mild mental impairments. Most of the former residents were transferred to the Michigan Childrern's Institute, established in Ann Arbor in 1935. In 1939 the Children's Village became the Coldwater State Home and Training School, and persons of all ages with more serious mental handicaps were admitted. By 1960 there
Erected 1981 by Michigan History. (Marker Number S530B.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
Location. 41° 57.687′ N, 84° 59.933′ W. Marker is in Coldwater, Michigan, in Branch County. Marker can be reached from Marshall Road 0.3 miles north of State Street, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is located next to main driveway into Lakeland Correctional Facility. Marker is in this post office area: Coldwater MI 49036, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Presbyterian Church (approx. 1.3 miles away); Frank D. Newberry (approx. 1.4 miles away); Branch County Korean and Vietnam Wars Memorial (approx. 1.4 miles away); Loomis' Battery (approx. 1.4 miles away); Branch County World War II Memorial Branch County World War I Memorial (approx. 1.4 miles away); Old Sam (approx. 1.4 miles away); Coldwater Michigan National Guard Armory Memorial (approx. 1.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Coldwater.
More about this marker. Marker is located near the Lakeland Correctional Facility and other closed prison facilities. It appears the marker is accessible to the public, but photography around the area of the marker is prohibited.
Regarding State Public School at Coldwater / Coldwater Regional Center. The Coldwater Regional Center for Developmental Disabilities closed in 1992. The Michigan Department of Corrections acquired the facilities for the Florence Crane Correctional Facility and Camp Branch, a minimum security prison camp. Camp Branch closed in 2009 and Florence Crane closed in 2011, but Lakeland Correctional Facility is still operational.
Categories. • Education • Science & Medicine •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 363 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.