Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Ottoville in Putnam County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

The Miami and Erie Canal

 
 
The Miami and Erie Canal Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, October 1, 2013
1. The Miami and Erie Canal Marker
Inscription. Construction began July 1825, opening navigation between Cincinnati and Toledo, Ohio in 1845 and encouraging settlement in the Black Swamp.
     Built in segments, the Canal extended 248.8 miles, joining the Ohio River and Lake Erie. The segment from St. Marys to Junction, Ohio was the last to open.
     There were 103 lift locks, five of which were in Monterey Township in Putnam County. This marker stands on the right-of-way in Section Sixteen of the Canal approximately 1,000 feet south of where Lock No. 28 was located.
     The first freighter The Marshal, carrying furs and pelts, passed through here from Piqua to Toledo on July 4, 1845. The last boat was a pleasure craft named Marguerita.
     Officially, the Canal ceased operation in 1877, but boats navigated this area until 1912.
 
Erected by Putnam County Historical Society.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the The Miami & Erie Canal marker series.
 
Location. 40° 56.074′ N, 84° 20.324′ W. Marker is in Ottoville, Ohio, in Putnam County. Marker is on E. Main Street east of W. Canal Street, on the left when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 120 E. Main Street, Ottoville OH 45876, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers.
Right-of-Way of the Miami and Erie Canal image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, October 1, 2013
2. Right-of-Way of the Miami and Erie Canal
View to the north towards site of Lock No. 28
At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fort Jennings (approx. 3 miles away); a different marker also named Fort Jennings (approx. 3 miles away); a different marker also named Miami and Erie Canal (approx. 5.4 miles away); Miami and Erie Canal / Delphos (approx. 6.1 miles away); Leslie C. Peltier (approx. 6.3 miles away); The Samuel Myers, Sr., Grist Mill 1834-1860 (approx. 6.5 miles away); Home-In-The-Wilderness 1821-1870 (approx. 6.5 miles away); Killing Spree Ends Here in 1948 (approx. 7.2 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  Canal Lands - Ohio Department of Natural Resources. Links to Discover Ohio's Miami and Erie Canal booklet and Miami and Erie Canal Heritage Corridor guide. (Submitted on October 4, 2013.) 
 
Categories. Waterways & Vessels
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 296 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement