Franklin in Williamson County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Lot 60 at the Corner of Cameron & Church Street / “Bucket of Blood” Neighborhood
Lot 60 at the Corner of Cameron & Church Street
In 1867 Rev. Otis O. Knight of Nashville purchased Lot 60, selling the southern half to ex-slave A.N.C. Williams, and the northern half for the construction of Wiley Memorial Methodist Episcopal Church (1868-1944), an African American congregation, today used by Pull-tight Players. In 1906 William Munch and Docia Owen House purchased this house and lot for $500 and the property remained in the family until 2002. Long the social center of the neighborhood, the House family became well known for the Patent Leather Kids, a jazz band which included J.D. and Arvila “Bybee” House, Fred Williams, Willie Wilson, and George Ball. The house was threatened with demolition until saved by local preservationists led by Pearl Bransford and Thelma Battle.
"Bucket of Blood" Neighborhood
Franklinís Methodist Church stood on the corner across the street, where the modern-day homes are located, from 1830 until 1873. Shorter Chapel A.M.E. Church used the same brick sanctuary until 1925, before moving to Natchez & Fowlkes Street. By 1910, black laborers working at Lillie Mills were living in factory-owned houses known as the “Bucket of Blood.” According to local legend, this colorful name resulted
Erected 2009 by Williamson County Historical Society, African American Heritage Society of Franklin and Wm. Co.
Location. 35° 55.454′ N, 86° 52.006′ W. Marker is in Franklin, Tennessee, in Williamson County. Marker is at the intersection of Church Street and 2nd Avenue South, on the right when traveling west on Church Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 202 Church Street, Franklin TN 37064, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Ewen Cameron (within shouting distance of this marker); Masonic Temple (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Union Headquarters (about 600 feet away); Original St Philip Catholic Church (about 600 feet away); Franklin Cotton Factory and Foundry / Lillie Mills (about 600 feet away); John H. Eaton (about 600 feet away); St. Philip Catholic Church (about 600 feet away); Courthouse (about 700 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Franklin.
Categories. • African Americans • Churches, Etc. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 397 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.