Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Milford in Kent County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Christ Church

Mispillion Milford

 
 
Christ Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Nate Davidson, April 21, 2011
1. Christ Church Marker
Inscription. Christ Church Mispillion was the second parish in Delaware established by the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in Foreign Parts. The Rev. Thomas Crawford first held services of the Church of England in lower Kent County in 1704. The previous church was located at Church Hill about three miles west of Milford. The Rev. Sydenham Thorne, the first resident rector, was instrumental in the relocation of the church to the new town of Milford. Construction of the church in Milford was started in 1791, but was interrupted by Thorne's death in 1793. The Rev. Corry Chambers is credited with completing the structure, which was consecrated on January 26, 1836. The colonial-style church was remodeled and enlarged in the present Gothic-style between 1863 and 1865. The bell tower was added in 1895. Interned in the churchyard are Joseph Oliver, the founder of Milford, and two of Delaware's Governors: William Tharp and Dr. William Burton. Christ Episcopal Church was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1973.
 
Erected 2006 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number KC-101.)
 
Location. 38° 54.936′ N, 75° 25.897′ W. Marker is in Milford, Delaware, in Kent County. Marker is on N. Church Street. Click for map
National Register Marker image. Click for full size.
By Nate Davidson, April 21, 2011
2. National Register Marker
. Marker is at or near this postal address: 200 N. Church Street, Milford DE 19963, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Joseph Oliver (here, next to this marker); Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of Milford's First Methodist Church (about 500 feet away); The Towers (about 700 feet away); Mispillion River Greenway Historical Sites (approx. 0.2 miles away); Parson Thorne Mansion (approx. mile away); Milford (approx. mile away); Major General Alfred T.A. Torbert (approx. 0.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Milford.
 
Also see . . .  Christ Church website. (Submitted on April 22, 2011, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
 
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial SitesChurches, Etc.Colonial Era
 
Christ Church image. Click for full size.
By Nate Davidson, April 21, 2011
3. Christ Church
The National Register marker is located next to the large red doors (the entrance) and the historic marker is located next to the bell tower.
Gov. William Burton Tombstone image. Click for full size.
By Nate Davidson, April 21, 2011
4. Gov. William Burton Tombstone
The large tombstone in the center is for Gov. William Burton who was governor of Delaware from 1859-1863.
Gov. William Tharp Tombstone image. Click for full size.
By Nate Davidson, April 21, 2011
5. Gov. William Tharp Tombstone
Gov. Tharp's tombstone is the large one to the right. He served as governor of Delaware from 1847-1851.
Joseph Oliver Tombstone image. Click for full size.
By Nate Davidson, April 21, 2011
6. Joseph Oliver Tombstone
Joseph Oliver was the founder of Milford in 1787. He died in 1807.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Nate Davidson of Salisbury, Maryland. This page has been viewed 552 times since then and 23 times this year. Last updated on , by Kathleen Black of Woodbridge, Virginia. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by Nate Davidson of Salisbury, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement