Near Sharpsburg in Washington County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
O.T. Reilly Monument
Old Dunkard Church
The oak tree that stood
in front and the Union
Civil War Veterans of
Erected by O.T. Reilly the
battlefield guide. 1927
Location. 39° 28.416′ N, 77° 44.759′ W. Marker is near Sharpsburg, Maryland, in Washington County. Marker is on Dunker Church Road / Old Hagerstown Pike, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Located on the opposite side of the Dunker Church Road from the Visitors Center. Marker is in this post office area: Sharpsburg MD 21782, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 3rd Maryland Volunteer Infantry (within shouting distance of this marker); Twelfth Army Corps (within shouting distance of this marker); The Maryland Campaign of 1862 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Battlefield Namesake (about 300 feet away); A Converging Storm of Iron (about 500 feet away); A Savage Continual Thunder (about 500 feet away); Longstreet's Command (about 500 feet away); 3-Inch Ordnance Rifle (about 500 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Sharpsburg.
Also see . . . O.T. Reilly Monument. National Park Service page detailing the monument. (Submitted on April 5, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
1. O.T. Reilly - Battlefield Tour Guide
Oliver T. Reilly, a native of Keedysville, MD, saw the armies passing through Maryland as a young child. As a teenager and young adult, Reilly often listened to the stories of veterans who had returned to visit the battlefield. Over time, he collected these stories, somewhat as an informal oral history of the battle. His Stories of Antietam: As Told to Mr. Reilly by Veterans and Eye-Witnesses of the Battle, is a compilation of many of these accounts. Reilly made a living providing his services as a guide for visitors. Over time he opened a gift shop and museum. Reilly's favorite spot on the battlefield was the Dunker Church. When the church was destroyed in a 1921 wind storm, Reilly placed the monument as a reminder of the location to future generations. The Church has since been restored, and the monument stands today.
Based on O.T. Reilly, Battlefield Guide, Blue & Gray Magazine, Fall 1995 Special Edition, pages 54-55.
— Submitted April 5, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 728 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.