Philadelphia in Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
In 1869 the turnpike became part of Fairmount Park. It became Upper Wissahickon Drive, free to all who came to enjoy the valley’s beauty.
With the coming of automobiles came years of debate: should the drive be a quiet park trail or busy road? In 1899 the park commission banned automobiles along the drive. But for nearly the next 30 years it received proposals to re-open the drive. The commission voted against them all and this stretch of road has been called “Forbidden Drive” ever since.
“ . . . Now the Wissahiccon is of so remarkable a loveliness that, were it flowing in England, it would be the theme of every bard, and the common topic of every tongue . . . . ”
“Morning on the Wissahiccon”
Edgar Allan Poe
In 1964 this park became one of the first seven places to be honored as a National Natural Landmark.
Location. 40° 1.665′ N, 75° 11.576′ W. Marker is in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, in Philadelphia Click for map. Marker is located in parking area 12 of Wissahickon Valley Park at Lincoln and Forbidden Drive. Marker is in this post office area: Philadelphia PA 19144, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Battle of Germantown (here, next to this marker); Ten Box Shelter (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Battle of Germantown (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Jacob Rittenhouse Home at RittenhouseTown (approx. 0.2 miles away); Rittenhouse Town (approx. 0.2 miles away); David Rittenhouse (approx. 0.2 miles away); Rittenhouse Homestead (approx. 0.2 miles away); Colonial Herb Garden (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Philadelphia.
Categories. • Roads & Vehicles •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 271 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.