Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Murfreesboro in Rutherford County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

The Founding of the County

 
 
The Founding of the County Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, July 25, 2013
1. The Founding of the County Marker
Inscription. Rutherford County was created in 1803 from parts of Davidson and Williamson counties. The county was named in honor of Griffith Rutherford, an Irish immigrant who rose to the rank of brigadier general in the Continental army during the Revolutionary War. Covering an area of 619 square miles, the county occupies the geographical center of the state.

The first meeting of the county court was held at the home of Thomas Rucker, and in 1805, the fledgling town of Jefferson, located just above the forks of the Stones River, was selected as the seat of government. By 1811, the decline in river traffic and a shift in population necessitated a more centrally-located county seat. A commission of citizens chose a sixty-acre piece of land along the west fork of Stones River belonging to Capt. William Lytle for the honor. Briefly called Cannonsburgh, the new town soon become known as Murfreesborough. The name was later shortened to its present form.

Rutherford County’s location and well-developed transportation system allowed many residents to ship a variety of crops and livestock profitably to Nashville and other towns. By 1840, the county was one of the largest corn producers in the nation. Local farmers also grew large amounts of cotton and tobacco for market. The arrival of the railroad in 1851 created increased opportunities
The Founding of the County Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, July 25, 2013
2. The Founding of the County Marker
for selling agricultural products. The widespread and diverse agrarian base limited the development of large-scale industrial endeavors until after the Civil War.
 
Erected by Rutherford County Tennessee.
 
Location. 35° 50.771′ N, 86° 23.515′ W. Marker is in Murfreesboro, Tennessee, in Rutherford County. Marker is on North Pubic Square west of North Church Street. Click for map. Located on the North side of the Public Square. Marker is in this post office area: Murfreesboro TN 37130, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Rutherford County Courthouse (a few steps from this marker); Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Murfreesboro Confederate Soldiers Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); General Griffith Rutherford (within shouting distance of this marker); Battle of Murfreesboro (within shouting distance of this marker); 1860s View of East Main Street (within shouting distance of this marker); Forrest's Murfreesboro Raid (within shouting distance of this marker); Architecture on the Square (within shouting distance of this marker). Click for a list of all markers in Murfreesboro.
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 215 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement