Montgomery in Montgomery County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
The Moore-Tyson-McPhillips Home
Helen Keller Frequently Visited Here
On April 22, 1908, the Cloverdale Company issued the original deed on this lot to Cloverdale Homes, a development company. On April 19, 1909, Cloverdale Homes deeded the property to its original occupant Louis H. Moore, a local banker, and his wife, Sarah J. Moore. The original house had a white clapboard exterior.
Following other owners, the house was conveyed on May 14, 1923, to Warren Tyson, whose wife, Mildred Keller Tyson, was the sister of world-renowned Helen Keller, a frequent visitor to the house. The Tysons, reflecting the architectural rave of the early 1920ís, changed the house exterior to a Tudor style.
On January 7, 1981, Julian L. and J. Leslie McPhillips purchased and renovated this house, preserving its historic character. The McPhillips were instrumental in developing the Fitzgerald Museum, 2 houses east, and Mr. McPhillips is the subject of a book, “The Peopleís Lawyer.”
Erected 2004 by Helen Keller Foundation.
Location. 32° 21.501′ N, 86° 17.601′ W. Marker is in Montgomery, Alabama, in Montgomery County. Marker is on Felder Avenue west of Dunbar Street, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. This marker is just inside the wrought
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fitzgerald Home (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); First United Methodist Church (about 800 feet away); Folmar - Siegelman House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Birth of Montgomery Bus Boycott (approx. half a mile away); Black Members of the Alabama Legislature Who Served During The Reconstruction Period of 1868-1879 (approx. half a mile away); Birthplace of Nat "King" Cole (approx. half a mile away); Rosa Louise Parks (approx. half a mile away); Home of Ralph David Abernathy (approx. half a mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Montgomery.
Regarding The Moore-Tyson-McPhillips Home. A nicely preserved, 2-story, red brick, Tudor-style house with a large, covered front porch and balcony across the front. The decorative wrought iron fence is beautiful.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
Also see . . . Mildred Keller Tyson, was Helen Keller's only sister. (Submitted on October 10, 2013, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 441 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.