Montgomery in Montgomery County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
First United Methodist Church
First United Methodist Church, organized September 15, 1829, is the oldest organized church in the city of Montgomery. Located on Court Street downtown for nearly 100 years, the congregation purchased for $20,000 this site in Cloverdale Park in July 1931.
The name Court Street Methodist Church changed to First Methodist Church on October 2, 1932. The chapel served as the site for the first worship service, held on November 30, 1933. George Awsumb, a Memphis, Tennessee architect, designed the educational building and sanctuary constructed in the midst of the Great Depression on a pay-as-you-go basis under the supervision of the pastor, Dr. Oscar E. Rice. Worship services were first held in the present sanctuary on July 3, 1938. The Fellowship Hall was completed in 1952; the Fellowship Building in 1961; and Wesley Hall in 1996. First United Methodist Church of Montgomery has provided great leaders, both lay and clergy, for our city, state, and nation since the church was founded in 1829.
Erected 2004 by Alabama Historical Association.
Location. 32° 21.385′ N, 86° 17.539′ W. Marker is in Montgomery, Alabama, in Montgomery County. Marker is on West Cloverdale Park 0.1 miles south of Park Avenue Click for map. This marker is on the lawn in front of the sanctuary. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2416 W Cloverdale Park, Montgomery AL 36106, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fitzgerald Home (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Moore-Tyson-McPhillips Home (about 800 feet away); Folmar - Siegelman House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Huntingdon College (approx. half a mile away); Birth of Montgomery Bus Boycott (approx. 0.6 miles away); Birthplace of Nat "King" Cole (approx. 0.6 miles away); Home of Ralph David Abernathy (approx. 0.7 miles away); Black Members of the Alabama Legislature Who Served During The Reconstruction Period of 1868-1879 (approx. 0.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Montgomery.
Also see . . . First United Methodist Church. (Submitted on October 10, 2013.)
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 328 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. submitted on , by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.