Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Cross Plains in Callahan County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Fort Mason-Camp Cooper Military Road

 
 
Fort Mason-Camp Cooper Military Road Marker image. Click for full size.
By Richard Denney, May 20, 2002
1. Fort Mason-Camp Cooper Military Road Marker
Inscription.
1 mile east to
Fort Mason-Camp Cooper
Military Road
Route for U.S. 2nd Cavalry and supplies from San Antonio to Fort Mason (about 100 mi. S. of here) to Camp Cooper (about 65 mi. N.) in campaigns of 1851-1861 against Plains Indians. Great military men of American history traveled this road, including Robt. E. Lee (later a commanding general, C.S.A.) and Geo. T. Thomas, "Rock of Chickamauga."
 
Erected 1967 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 1995.)
 
Location. This marker has been replaced by another marker nearby. It was located near 32° 7.285′ N, 99° 10.53′ W. Marker was in Cross Plains, Texas, in Callahan County. Marker was on Southwest Fifth Street (State Highway 36) 0.2 miles west of South Comal Street, on the left when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is located in a roadside park. Marker was in this post office area: Cross Plains TX 76443, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Fort Mason-Camp Cooper Military Road (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Home of Robert E. Howard (approx. 0.2 miles away); Cross Plains Cemetery
Roadside Park and Creek image. Click for full size.
By Richard Denney, April 20, 2014
2. Roadside Park and Creek
The park and creek where markers are located. Old marker is among trees by picnic table.
(approx. 0.4 miles away); Pioneer Cemetery War Memorial (approx. 5.6 miles away); Pioneer Cemetery (approx. 5.6 miles away); Old Cottonwood Cemetery (approx. 5.9 miles away); Site of Cottonwood Springs (approx. 6.1 miles away); Cottonwood Bank and Post Office (approx. 6.1 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Cross Plains.
 
More about this marker. This marker was replaced by a new marker in 2014; the new marker is located approx. 250 feet west of the original marker location.
 
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
 
Categories. Forts, CastlesRoads & VehiclesWars, US Indian
 
Location of Original Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, December 25, 2014
3. Location of Original Marker
The marker was originally located in the center of the photo
The new marker is located at the pedestrian bridge to the right
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. This page has been viewed 268 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on , by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas.   2. submitted on , by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas.   3. submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement