Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Elizabeth in Union County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Revolutionary Cannon

 
 
Revolutionary Cannon Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, April 5, 2008
1. Revolutionary Cannon Marker
Inscription. This gun, cast in Strasburg in 1758, was sent by Louis XV, King of France, to Canada for the defense of Quebec. Upon the surrender of that place in the following year, the gun fell into the hands of the British. In April, 1760, the French recaptured the gun, and in May the British re-took it. In the fall of 1775 this gun aided in the repulse of the Continental force under General Richard Montgomery, who was mortally wounded while attempting to capture it. In June, 1779, Sir Henry Clinton captured Stony Point, and a month later General Anthony Wayne re-took it finding this gun among the trophies. General Washington presented the piece to troops from Elizabethtown who had acted as a reserve, and it was brought here by them soon after. Unveiled by Elizabethtown Chapter, No. 1, Sons of the American Revolution, December 2, 1905.
 
Erected 1905 by Elizabethtown Chapter, No. 1, Sons of the American Revolution.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Sons of the American Revolution marker series.
 
Location. 40° 39.73′ N, 74° 12.904′ W. Marker is in Elizabeth, New Jersey, in Union County. Marker is at the intersection of Broad Street (New Jersey Route 623) and Rahway Avenue, on the right when traveling
Revolutionary Cannon and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, April 5, 2008
2. Revolutionary Cannon and Marker
The marker and cannon are located in front of the Union County Court House.
south on Broad Street. Click for map. Marker is in front of the Union County Court House. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2 Broad Street, Elizabeth NJ 07201, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old Borough Court House (a few steps from this marker); Colonial Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Elizabeth Presbyterian Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Patriotic Dead (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Site of Princeton University (about 500 feet away); Old Academy (about 500 feet away); Washington’s Inaugural Bicentennial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Seven Astronauts (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Elizabeth.
 
Categories. War, US Revolutionary
 
Court House with Cannon Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, April 5, 2008
3. Court House with Cannon Marker
Some say that the Court House is haunted by the ghost of Hannah Caldwell. The wife of Rev. James Caldwell, Hannah was killed at the Battle of Connecticut Farms on June 7, 1780.
Site of the Old Borough Court House image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, April 5, 2008
4. Site of the Old Borough Court House
The Old Borough Court House was burned by the British in 1780, the same night the Presbyterian Church next door was also burned.
Closeup of Cannon image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, April 26, 2008
5. Closeup of Cannon
This cannon was captured at Stony Point, NY by troops which included the militia from Elizabethtown.
Another Cannon Closeup image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, April 26, 2008
6. Another Cannon Closeup
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,391 times since then and 11 times this year. This page was the Marker of the Week Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.   3, 4. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.   5, 6. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement